Originally Posted By Alaskan_TA
Formerly owned by L. J. McCaffrey Jr. in Syosset, NY

Here's some more of the history:

Ernesto owned it from around '81-82, until 1986. He sold it to Leonard McCaffrey Jr. in order to buy a Pontiac Fiero of all things. He offered the original 440 long block to Leonard for an extra $500, but he passed on it, in order to have the cash for a front end rebuild...

Leonard kept the car at his parents house and a fellow named Rich saw the car sitting outside in the driveway sometime in the mid-'90's. He told his friend Greg Tombolo about it and he purchased the 'Cuda around '95. I really liked the car and every time I spoke with the owner, I'd ask him if it was for sale. One day out of the blue, Greg called me to say it was up for grabs and he kindly gave me first shot at it. Within a week or two, the 'Cuda was in my possession. I embarked on the idea of performing an OEM restoration and proceeded to buy as many date coded correct NOS and good used parts. Many were sent to RestoRick and Pete Bloathner.

In 2001, after a long search for Ernesto's information, Daniel Banker (RIP) somehow located his phone number for me. I ended up speaking with Ernesto about the 'Cuda for hours, before I even inquired about the original 440. Sure enough, he still had it sitting in a garage. I met him and he took me to see the engine. The wind was knocked out of my sails when he told me he wanted $9,500 for it. Mind you, it had dropped a valve in the early '80's and there was no guarantee on the block. I had paid $7,500 for the rolling body a few years prior and complete '70 V-code 'Cudas were only selling in the $30-40k range at that time. By 2006, I had burned out on restorations and was burning up with Viper fever and posted a for sale ad here on Moparts. The car sold quickly to another member and he flew out and trailered it back home to San Pedro, California. I satisfied the Viper itch (lasted for a year or two, before I got bored and sold that off, in order to buy another ‘70 6bbl 4-spd ‘Cuda wink

I'm glad the 'Cuda is in very capable hands and can't wait to see the finished product!