My 440" W2 is a big torque motor but I'm discussing (with a fabricator buddy whose been doing some awesome work on it) whether it might be more practical to put a set of undersized shorties (Made by sanderson) in it because the chassis (66 A body) is so tight. It'll cost me big time up top but the combo just has so much torque in a 3000 pound car I doubt I'll miss it very much. I basically have a mopar version of a Buick 455 Stage 1 motor in terms of torque already, and then maybe 100+ HP on top of that....in a 1000 pound lighter car. At some point I'm asking....how much is enough? I keep reminding myself...the FAST BBMW and SBMW guys run high 10's with worse than that.

Sanderson will make a set of their DD-9 (63-66 A body) in 1 1/2" x 2.5" collector but with a W2 flange very reasonably. Not ideal....but it fits. I tried to get TTI to make a set of their full length step header but with the W2 flange but they wouldn't do it. I know the std vs W2 port mismatch really isn't that big a deal though, also I left my Exhaust port outlets well ported but essentially sized As cast

Ideally I would like to duplicate/improve the shorty design but in a 1 7/8" tube 3" or bigger collector, if it would fit an Early A it would fit any chassis, then maybe market them for any stroker small block combo. I think there could be a big market for big tube shorties for both ease of install plus when you run a full exhaust it's really hard to optimize a header anyway, so the diffesrnce from "ideal open header/collector" to undersized will be a whole lot less of a % difference with a reasonably quiet street exhaust. In 'real world" sense, if the collectors don't essentially free-flow at WOT all the way to the power peak (for whatever the reason) the "dyno" arguement loses a lot of its validity.

Last edited by Streetwize; 12/09/17 10:33 PM.

WIZE

World's Quickest Diahatsu Rocky (??) 414" Stroker Small block Mopar Powered. 10.84 @ 123...and gettin' quicker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mWzLma3YGI

In Car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjXcf95e6v0