Originally Posted By JohnRR
Originally Posted By ngpSatellite
Thanks for the info Gents!!... To answer some of the questions..

1) the eng does have a vin stamped by the oil pan.. Ill get the numbers..

2) eng has an HP stamp on it a plus when I bought it, the eng had the original flat top pistons (only RR had these i do believe) .. got it for 500 bucks in 2008...

3) I do have some old pictures of the engine when I originally bought it and opened it up.. and if I remember right the crank did have a few drill holes in it..

so all in all if its a four speed engine... whats the big difference... performance??.. just a little finer balance? or the engine can take higher rpm??

1) Post the info on the ID pad up top and the VIN, or a partial, off the pan rail, early 69 built engines may have the full VIN.

2) Incorrect, all 4bbl 383's in 69 had flat top pistons, both the 330HP non RR engine and the 335hp RR engine.

3) RR engines in 69 were painted orange , 330HP 4 bbl engines will be turquoise. The only hole you need to see, or care about, is the one for the pilot bushing in the center, rear crank flange.

4) The difference between a 4speed engine and the auto engine is the curve in the distributor and it has a different number carb, slight difference in it's setup tune. There is no RPM capability difference, or anything else you THINK might make it better.

Vin on eng is RM21H9G121150
and it was Orange (now painted turquoise)
and i do believe the 69 RR piston was 1/8 inch higher with open heads.. the standard C body 383 piston was not that high.... thanks for the information John! ..........so not much difference with the auto and 4 speed