Well the plain truth is that a 413 cubic inches it isn't large enough in cubic inches for its weight. A 4" stroke 340 with a decent set of heads will put it on the trailer.

As an industrial engine it was designed to make reliable horsepower for a long time. For car use it is really just a shortblock at best as everything above the shortblock is useless. But all the B/RB car stuff will bolt onto that shortblock.

YET,
It was, however, the original Max Wedge engine.
Hot Rod put a car type 413 in a Sweptline and ran 12s.
As 440 and 400 blocks become scarce, the 413 begins to look more attractive. If you're building an engine for a pickup truck the 413 is more attractive.

Chrysler engineers were really into fractions. The 413 bore was 4 3/16" which is 4.1875. Add 0.0625 and get 4.250.

As 413 blocks are next to worthless, I see no problem with boring them to 4.250. The 413 connecting rod is the same old LY 535 rod that was found in the bulk of 440s. A standard bore 383 piston plus a 413 rod plus a 4.15" crank will net around 472 cubic inches. Now we're talking enough cubic inches to matter.

There are some 413s that were built on 426 castings, no reason they couldn't go over 4.25. These are industrial engines. Check the casting number listings for examples.

My beef is that both 383s and 413s are usually listed for far more than they're worth because idiots think any Mopar bigblock is gold. I've seen motorhome 413s advertised for $800. Idiots!

It's ironic that the only person who'll sell you a 383 or 413 for what it is actually worth is a Mopar guy.

As the price of cast replacement pistons continues to rise, the custom forged piston becomes the better choice.

R.