I'm going to try very hard to describe my situation and questions very carefully so please be patient with my ignorance....

I have a 440 (1970 block) fresh rebuild and assembly that is ready to install.
It is completely assembled from pan to intake, etc...ready to drop in.

I bought a 1970 Charger R/T and the 1970 Block, Steel Crankshaft, 6-Pack Rods and Harmonic balancer came with the car... I DO NOT KNOW IF THEY WERE PREVIOUSLY BALANCED OR IF THEY CAME FROM THE SAME ENGINE.

I sent the engine off to a machine shop to be cleaned, machined and assembled. I DID NOT ASK THEM TO BALANCE IT - MY MISTAKE.

As I was preparing the front of the engine for the pulleys/brackets, etc..a good friend and great Mopar mechanic asked to see my harmonic balancer and when he saw that it was a 6-pack balancer he asked if this engine had 6-pack rods and I said YES it does and he verified the the casting number on the rods and agreed that it did have 6-pack rods and I had the right harmonic balancer.

He also asked if I had the rotating assembly balanced and I said NO, I did not know I needed to (again, my mistake I know).

He said that I may have problems with vibration if I install this balancer on this engine without balancing and that got me to thinking:

I called my machinist, explained my situation and asked him if new Hypereutectic pistons are all pretty close to the same weight when ordered new and he said yes they are very very close.

Question: Is there any way I can get by without completely disassembling the engine and having it balanced ?

If the new Hyper-Pistons are very closely the same weight and I use a 6-pack balancer, will the engine run with serious vibration or do I need to have it all balanced ?

Can I use a regular balancer without the offset counter weight ?

Are there any alternative options besides having it balanced ?

Thank You Very Much
Mike

Last edited by sunroof_charger; 11/10/17 02:31 AM.