finally, after a long time, i have the steering column fabbed and installed. i used a tilt/telescope mechanism from a '76 newyorker, then made a recessed column tube that nestles into the knee bar of the cage. i also fabbed a removable wheel assembly. the hardest part of that job was the real estate needed for the lock mechanism for the telescope feature. the inner and outer bells at the wheel end of the column were scratch built, while the center cover that houses the turn signal switch and the tilt handle was modified by shaving the ignition switch "lump" and the key illumination light. the steering wheel shown is a junker for the time being, while the wheel i intend on using will also have a working horn button. the horn contactor was a real challenge to get working because of the size of the removable hub and the adapter cover needed for the telescope lock. next on the list is to cut the shaft to length at the rack, double D the end, and weld the support bearing mount to the chassis.
beer

P4220045.JPGP4220047.JPGP4220053.JPGP4220055.JPG