I’ve had a few people ask how I remove the paint, clean the metal and finish off the welds, so I thought I do little right up and some pictures on what has worked for me.

In the engine bay I have found a heat gun and wirewheel on a drill works great removing the paint and original primer from all the nooks and crannies. I like using a 12” quick change extension to hold the wire wheels. The advantage of the drill over a grinder is you can change the direction of the drill which allows the wirewheel to work more aggressively remove the paint and primer. With the heat gun I blister about 6”x6” of paint and while it is still hot I use the wirewheel to remove that section of paint, it goes quick and no fine dust.

Here is a before and after of the firewall using only the heat gun and wirewheel.

Here I’m welding over the wire harness plug hole. After tack welding the cover in place I grind down most of the welds before finishing the welding, this helps keep the heat down and make it easier to connect the weld as thickness of the metal is similar to the welds.

Last edited by Keepat; 02/21/16 07:55 PM.