While browsing Craigslist ads (used to be my favorite pastime) I found this neat 1963 Plymouth. It was mid July 2010 and the search word I used was probably “Gasser” as I was kind of looking for a cool Mopar Gasser project at the time. My knowledge about Super Stock/Max Wedge Mopars was very limited back then, but I thought that the price was ok even for a “normal” 1963 Savoy Gasser.

I sent an email to Brian asking for more information and pics of the car. He responded in 15 minutes and for the next few days we exchanged emails, before I finally made the decision to buy the car. It took me some time to figure a way to get the car from Clovis, CA to Helsinki, Finland. Thinking back and knowing what I know today, I think it’s a little miracle that nobody local got the car during those few days. Even if it didn’t have any MW special parts left, I think it still was a good buy for the asking price.

Car had obviously led a hard life and used as a race car in many different combinations (if something can be judged from all the holes on cabin and trunk floor). The whole front clip was basically cut off, leaving just the front frame rails in place to hold the straight front axle on leaf springs. Rear wheel openings had wide flares that were not able to cover the even wider slicks. The only real rust could be found under the passenger side quarter window, where something had blocked the drain hole(s).

Brian had done some homework for the car and acquired Darrell Davis’ book for 1963 Plymouth. He had also contacted Darrell in person and Darrell was able to confirm that the car indeed was a real Super Stock Savoy. Brian had also ordered the IBM card from Chrysler Historical Collection. All this (plus some other documentation) he posted to me so I had something to read while waiting for the car to arrive.

Originally the Savoy was a 426/415hp LC car with T85 3-speed manual transmission. White exterior with blue interior, heater, no radio.

'66 Plymouth
'64 Dodge
'63 Plymouth x 3