I've got a 67 383 (2-bbl engine) that i'm going to toss some different 516 heads on to. They're very mildly ported, shaved (not sure how much yet, nothing extreme), and will have bigger exhaust valves (have a choice between used stock 1.74 or new 1.81 Ferrea). Basically i dont want the 1.6 valves on there. The guides will be modified for valve clearance too.

I'm sold on the Whiplash RB cam for it. Its gonna be a light, stick car. If i ask Hughes this question they will obviously tell me i NEED their special lifters and springs to go with that cam, but do i need them really? I already have (new in box) Comp 924-16 springs (installed: 115lbs @ 1.900" / Open: 322lbs @ 1.200" / Rate: 296lbs/in). I also have Comp 822-16 lifters, also new. These were bought for a different project that never happened (pretty sure it was the Comp XHL275 cam?)

Will this stuff work normally? I'm REALLY poor right now and would like to make this happen. A $215 cam from Hughes would be a LOT easier to budget than a full $400 kit. I already have the Comp stuff.

The specs on Hughes site for their springs are a bit heavier than the Comp specs for mine (Installed: 150lbs @ 1.880" / 365lbs @ .650). They say their cams need special springs, but the Comp cam i bought this stuff for was the new high-lift lobe cam... Same difference?

What do you think? can i save myself $200+ and have this thing work the way its supposed to?