There are a number of good books on handling and related topics. A lot of folks want to know Where to Start so these are my suggestions along with more advanced How and Why books and articles. Please feel free to add yours. Your further reviews, critiques or comments on titles posted also OK. Feel free to include links for web versions of the print material. However let's save links to web only articles and info for a seperate thread. Thanks.

General Handling

Fred Puhn. How To Make Your Car Handle (HP Books, LA Calf) 1981
A good book to start with for the somewhat technically inclined. Writing is clear and straightforward. Theory is sound and well explained. Practical applicatation include things like how to measure alignment, center of gravity etc. on the cheap. A few pages in the back are devoted to explaining drag race set up principles. Section on tires is dated and some things he feels are less important get covered less.

Herb Adams, Chassis Engineering (HP Books, NY) 1993
This is a relatively easy read with lots of pictures and illustrations. Adams's ideas are sometimes a bit contraversial but I don't think anything in this book is. In it he discusses different suspension types and chassis framing

Carrol Smith. Tune To Win (Aero Publishers) 1978
In this "Tune To.." book, Smith pretty well covers suspension theory. While written in a readable folksy and down to earth style, its definately more advanced reading. It is big on physics and basic priciples and Smith is a tough teacher. It is written more toward purpose build rather than production based race cars, however that doesn't make it any less valuable. Smith has a lot of good practical advice and sound approaches toward developing a race car.

Paul Haney Racing and High Performance Tire
This one has been recommended as being helpful to understanding suspension dynamics as well as tire construction. I'll flesh this one out when I can or if someone else wants to that's cool too.

Mopar Specific Handling
Mike Martin, MOPAR SUSPENSIONS (S-A Design Books, Brea Calif) 1984 ISBN 0-931472-20-2
Later reprinted under the title Super Street Mopar with no editing or changes that we are aware of. It is a relatively easy to read book with Mopar specific theory and calculation examples. I found one somewhat serious error in a example and some smaller ones, but if you understand what he is explaining, you'll catch them too. Specific sources and parts is dated, but in many ways the advice is still useful. For example at the time only X and y was available and in 2012 X is no longer made but Y still is plus a new product became available.

"Roadability and Handling" Reference Book 1972-7
Master Technician Service Conference Series Chrysler Motor Corporation, 1972

There are several MTSC booklets with this title. Good intro to suspension. The 1972 booklet has all the basics alignment terms.
Available on-line at
Chrysler Imperial Club's MTSC series Session 296

Last edited by Mattax; 02/18/12 04:22 PM.