Quote:

Quote:

Is this statement even close to being true that "only about 30 M-Code Darts still exist":

Assembled as a run-of-the-mill 383 car, then transformed into a 440-powered strip streak by the Hurst-Campbell Corporation , this Dodge is one of only 640 M-code Darts produced for the 1969 model year. Most of those big engine warriors were sold to drag racers who needed something tough to whip at the track and, as a result, Chrysler expert Galen Govier estimates that only 30 still exist.

There are so many things wrong with the above bolded remarks.

1. Not much "run of the mill" about a 383 A body and were available and sold through the 1969 model years but few were sold in comparison to a true "run of the mill" Dart or Cuda.

2.Transformed by Hurst-No.

3. There was a progression for big block A bodies and it goes like this:

In 1967 Mr. Norm complained that the competition had a leg up on Mopar in our A body size cars and asked for a 383-4 Dart. Factory said it would not fit in current configured body. Weeks later Norm shows up in Detroit with a 383-4 powered Dart they built @ the dealership. They show it to engineering and they start building them.

Next year Norm asks for competition for the 396/375 Chevy Nova. Factory says if you buy 50 or more they will build them. Norm agrees and replaces the GTS emblem with another S in place of the T and calls the car a Grand Spalding Sport.

The ONLY A bodies that Hurst had anything to do with were the 1968 Hemi Darts and Cudas because they had too many modification to perform on the assembly line, so unfinished cars were sent there for completion.

ALL 1969 M code A bodies were build completely @ the factory assembly plant. They did "begin" as a 383 car on PAPER just as the 1969 A12 cars did but never had a 383 ACTUALLY installed in the car. This is why BOTH of these "package cars" use an M in the V.I.N. Package cars were expected to be limited production and they did not create a new engine code for the V.I.N. and rather created an option package with an assigned sales code listing specific equipment INCLUDING the engine to identify what the actual engine is. The V.I.N. just shows "special engine" for the M code. You have to refer to the factory sales code for the car to determine what engine the car actually has.

Sorry but that is partially incorrect.Hurst did do the conversion.Once again I was in the right place at the right time. I worked for a paint supply company that supplied Hurst with Ditzler auto paint and supplies.I saw them lined up back against the walls 2 rows with a 440 eng on a buck in front of each of the cars. I would guess about 40 cars at a time.IIRC all were complete running 383 cars.

Leave the gun.......take the Cannoli's....Mike