I am responding to two different posters here:

cudaman1969
All that info is nice if i had a Superbird but we're talking a-body m-codes

I understand that and A bodies were not even built at the L.R. plant. The reason I posted it is that it is an interview with a plant engineer that was there in 1969. It addresses the "hole" that handled many of the odd equipment/modifications that were not done on the regular line just as it would have been done at any other plant.

charge70

Was told these cars were built complete minus motor and trans,and they were installed off the line at Chrysler.Now I know that would mean no steering column either,but who knows.Just telling what was told to me years ago about these cars.

That is absolutely wrong but is also common mis-information in the Mopar hobby.

One thing people have to remember is that this was a major auto manufacture in the business for maximum profit. In the hobby today owners of these old cars seem to think that these old muscle cars are special. Well, to the owners they are but to Ma Mopar back in the day, they were just another car. They sent very FEW cars outside of the regular assembly plants for ANYTHING. It cost them extra money to do it and the only reason a few of these cars were sent out (like the Hemi A bodies) is because it would be too big a job to do in the factory "hole" mentioned above. The original price when new for a Hemi A body reflected this cost not to mention they came in primer not even painted a factory color.

It was all about money and unless it was something BIG they did it at the factory assembly plants.