Quote:

All that info is nice if i had a Superbird but we're talking a-body m-codes.I was working for my uncle who owned a Dodge dealership in 69 and my dad worked for Fisher Body so i know pretty much how things worked. I don't know where they were built, just want the true facts. My question is for the guys who have restored one, can the body be set down on the engine and trans while its on the x-member like the factory did in the same amount of time moving down the line? They couldn't do this with the Hemi a-bodys, to much beating and banging and adapting to do on the line. This would be the only reason i could see them taking to Hurst.My build sheet and data plate has the engine code E63-383. Why couldn't the factory guys just put the code E86-440 when they set up these cars to come down the line since they did it with the Superbirds that way because everything has to have order and precision coming down the line. What about the special clip that all the m-code cars have on the steering connecter, like the engine was put in at a different time and didn't want to pull out the column again. Being towed over and installing the engine just seems more plausible with all these little things to do. I'm going to ask the A12 guys if there cars had E63 on there tags and build sheets then changed to E87 440-6 since they are m-code special order too.Hope i thought of every thing if not I'll be back, just trying to get good info

Yes the A12's have the E63 on on the tag and sheet because the A12 was a Package Code and Option that was "Added" to the base 383 rr and Bee. There was an "Addition and Deletion" list that went with the A12 package that deleted the base 383, axle, hood, wheels/tires, carburetor, intake, etc., The engine code was the only thing added to the VIN along with the fender tag A12 option, special axle, and build sequence.....and it was mostly built on the Lynch Road assembly line with the special fiberglass hood, and carbs being done in an area after the assembly but at Lynch Road (NOT outside the LR plant.

As for the M-code A13 A-bodies if they could put the 383 big block in on the assembly line then IMO they could also install the 440 on the Hamtramck assembly line with the same equipment used for the 383......what would be so unique except for the slight change of the driver's side exhaust manifold. The left engine mount would have been done as the engine was fitted to the K-frame IMO.