Now it might get weird for some people but this was really the climax (yes, that's the right word!) of my trip! I had been looking for info for quite awhile regarding the old Chrysler Center in Highland Park and I knew that it was already heavily developed with only one of the old buildings still standing. I had looked at satellite views and Google street view and I was pretty certain that I would still find something Chrysler-related there. The east side of the property has a brand new Magna seat factory and most of the south end is a Coca-Cola distribution facility. But there seemed to be some dirt roads in the northern part still and one of the main gates...let's see what goes on today at the site where everything important happened back in the day like 426 Hemi connecting rods flying through the dyno facilty window when an engine grenaded at full throttle!

Here's an overview of the complex;

A couple of photos of building 135 which was used for dyno work;

I was supposed to meet Ed, a totally cool guy who worked with the fellow who signed this dyno sheet. He had a few other Chrysler engineers with him...unfortunately I could not make it...it really bugs me...I hope to see you guys the next time around!! And I had a somewhat valid reason, more on that later...

For more info and pics go to this site and put "Chrysler Center" as search words;

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/collections/habs_haer/

OK, excitement was on top when I parked at one of the old main entrances! It is odd that it has been mostly untouched as there was grassy knolls added where the office buildings used to be.

Driving to the grounds from the north end will soon reveal the only structure still standing, building number 101 which is described as a warehouse on the documents. It is covered with steel siding like so many other old buildings in the Detroit area, for the modern look and lower maintenance I guess?

Excitement is again on top when I park Jim's truck in what used to be Plant 4...I assume that the metallic strip in the foreground used to be an overhead door location;

Could this be from inside Plant 4 during WW2? In any case, this is a shot of 40mm anti-aircraft gun barrels at the Highland Park complex;

Walking towards the gate from the inside you can clearly see where the guardshack used to be..the floor tiles were still on the ground...the intact one has now been saved..it was't exactly mint as it seemed that somebody had made burnout efforts on them

There were piles of what seemed to be old construction material here and there but I couldn't be sure if those were part of the structures or what somebody had just dumped on site...search for artifacts continues when I stumble on something unbelievable! Yup, that is the old dyno building floor!! I didn't know what to do, somekind of a tribal dance or what?? Well, I was my boring Nordic cool self and just took pics...and a piece of it! If I'd be wealthy I'd buy and lift the whole damn thing out of there and make it my Motor Room! Somebody should bring a Hemi there and make it scream on site at least one last time! Dammit!

I spent quite some time on site and I was worried that some security dude would show up and make me leave. No way Jose, I travelled a long way for this! When I got my "loot" secured I was worried about losing it...and if somebody would have seen the Packard bricks inside the truck they would probably have called the dudes carrying a white jacket with long sleeves for me...so, it was best to get out of there. One last pic in Plant 4 with the artifacts (the third piece is a part of the floor in Plant 4);

Pretty intense for a certified Chrysler nut!!