I'm mostly done with the construction of the center console. For weather protection, the particle board parts will be given two coats of marine grade clear polyurethane, scuff sanded, and finished with a dark gray Monstaliner, which will match the Monstaliner that will be used on the interior surfaces. The aluminum dash and console panels will be covered with 3M Di-Noc carbon fiber vinyl.
Due to the contours of the floor and the tight fit, I had to design the console into 2 separable pieces.
I threw away the stock, clunky piece of crap transfer case shifter, and picked up a TJ shifter. The problem was, the TJ sheetmetal shifter body was formed so that it fit the curvature of the trans tunnel. I had to do some creative metal work and welding in order to create a flat mounting surface, so that I could mount it under the aluminum panel. I also had to cut, lengthen, and basically re-contour the shifter stick. Both shifters will be operated with cables.

In an effort to give this Jeep YJ more of an identity crisis, I relocated the gas filler door from the rear to the side, which is the same spot as on the Jeep TJ, and added a door assembly. This wasn't done just for looks. It allows the hoses to be routed easier, and be a straighter shot into the fuel cell. In addition, I now have the room to put the reverse light below the stop/turn/tail light.

Gone to the dark side with an LS3 powered '57 Chevy 210