Quote:

Awesome, I am curious about something to do with line boring if I may ask. Doesn't it changer the distance between the crank center and the cam center? How do you conpensate for that or is it so insignificant that you would never see an issue with timing chain slack.

Thanks, Kevin

any time you hone or bore the mains, the distance will decrease, but when boring you actually have better control of how much material is removed from the block. it's my opinion that boring gives a better result than honing for various reasons.
one of those reasons in addition to the aforementioned is that boring does a much better job of keeping the bores round and in proper alignment. honing is usually a faster process and because of that it generally costs a little less. it's widely used in the industry just like boring is.
i have a buch of pictures of blocks that were honed by other shops where the customers had issues where the sizing was inconsistent at best. on some, the bores were wide at the parting line which is common because of the nature of stone and shoe offset on the honing mandrel.
in the case of this block, i took .0013" (13 tenths) of material away from the block side. all bores measure within .0001 of each other now. it's almost impossible to acheive those results with a hone. thanks for asking.

machine shop owner and engine builder