Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

When I had the 999 built for my Scrambler, I used the internal parts and output shaft and tail housing from my Jeep 998, and the Case and front section from a small block 904 series trans. The resulting transmission was much shorter than a 4wd truck based 727. I then mounted my trans and transfer case in the stock location, with several inches of clearance between my fan and the radiator, which needed a longer, semi custom shroud to span the gap.

Your setup with a YJ will be similar, as the 904 based trans is the automatic used in them. You will need a radiator with different inlet and outlet; one for a SBC conversion works well.

That sounds like a plan. What transfer case did you use? I have the NP231.

Mine was the D300, but that has a passenger side front output. You have a driver's side drop on your YJ, but your 231 is a pretty good t-case, and can be beefed pretty easily. Just make sure the chain is in good shape, and I would upgrade to a HD slip yoke eliminator if you are planning on offroading it.

Thanks for the info, Cooter! I'm totally green to this 4x4 stuff, and I'm trying to get up to speed the best I can. Let me ask you this, can I use the guts and tail housing from a Jeep 999 trans and stuff it in a 904 case? *edit* I think you already answered that in one of your previous posts.
From what I've read, the Dana 300 is a stout piece!! Cast iron housing, gears instead of chain driven. Sounds like my kind of transfer case! But, like you mentioned, I can beef up my 231, and it will be fine for what I'll use it for.

Hey Bubba! Yeah, a couple years have past since selling my Duster, and I thought I was done wrenching on projects, but then this happened: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU

Gone to the dark side with an LS3 powered '57 Chevy 210