Moparts Extras >> Tech Archive / Best of Moparts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
cudaboone
enthusiast

Reged: Apr 17 2010
Loc: Maryland
ALTERKATION HATED BY MOPAR ACTION??
      #7195765 - Mon May 07 2012 10:05 AM

Have been looking at the alterkation front end for some time for my cuda. Just don't have the $ now. This month's issue of mopar action made them seem like a piece of junk. How can this be if there has never been a failure that i have heard about and they are pounded at tracks all over week after week? U think this guy has it in for the manufacturer or knows about something the rest of us don't know? It just put some doubt in my pea brain.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Dodgeguy101
mopar

Reged: Mar 10 2010
Loc: MD-USA
Re: ALTERKATION HATED BY MOPAR ACTION?? [Re: cudaboone]
      #7195798 - Mon May 07 2012 10:27 AM

I thought the author of that article explained himself very good.

I guess if you think it will work for you, go for it.

ragtopdodge
whack job - ragtopdodge

Reged: Jan 20 2003
Loc: Seattle
Re: ALTERKATION HATED BY MOPAR ACTION?? [Re: Dodgeguy101]
      #7195832 - Mon May 07 2012 10:58 AM

Can you post some quotes/excerpts of the article?

Is that Rich Ehrenberg or something like that? I know he's a big proponent of making the stock stuff works, but he may be still stuck in the 20th century.

--------------------
70 318 Chally vert FC7/XW
71 383 Cuda vert GB5/XW
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Challenger 1
Everyones favorite tool!!

Reged: Feb 05 2005
Loc: Cincinnati
Re: ALTERKATION HATED BY MOPAR ACTION?? [Re: ragtopdodge]
      #7195845 - Mon May 07 2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Can you post some quotes/excerpts of the article?

Is that Rich Ehrenberg or something like that? I know he's a big proponent of making the stock stuff works, but he may be still stuck in the 20th century.

Doubtful...

--------------------

BergmanAutoCraft
master

Reged: Nov 28 2003
Loc: Long Island, NY USA
Re: ALTERKATION HATED BY MOPAR ACTION?? [Re: Challenger 1]
      #7195851 - Mon May 07 2012 11:09 AM

I saw a failure once, and I have never seen anything with an alter k road racing.

--------------------

]

savoy64
super stock

Reged: Sep 07 2011
Loc: colorado
Re: ALTERKATION HATED BY MOPAR ACTION?? [Re: Challenger 1]
      #7195883 - Mon May 07 2012 11:24 AM

isnt the unit based on mustang II? even mustang II guys upgrade to granada brakes------they are selling a premium price unit telling you that you can, at extra expense, upgrade the brakes...

autoxcuda
Too Many Posts

Loc: So Cal
Re: ALTERKATION HATED BY MOPAR ACTION?? [Re: savoy64]
      #7195928 - Mon May 07 2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

isnt the unit based on mustang II? even mustang II guys upgrade to granada brakes------they are selling a premium price unit telling you that you can, at extra expense, upgrade the brakes...

Not really. It just uses an aftermarket spindle similiar to Mustang II. That's it. It has Mopar upper ball joints K727. Does that make it a Mopar base unit?...No

The standard brakes on the AlterKion are the same size at standard brakes on a A/B/E-body.

Are you sure the brakes are not Granada rotors?? If not, they are the same size.

--------------------
Fall Fling XIX
October 25, 2014 Saturday
Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA
www.cpwclub.com
400+ show cars, 150+ swap, manf. midways

540challenger
master

Reged: Apr 22 2007
Loc: NY usa
Re: ALTERKATION HATED BY MOPAR ACTION?? [Re: BergmanAutoCraft]
      #7195930 - Mon May 07 2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

I saw a failure once, and I have never seen anything with an alter k road racing.

What failed on the alterkation?????

demon440
mopar addict

Reged: May 05 2006
Loc: Streetsboro,Ohio
Re: ALTERKATION HATED BY MOPAR ACTION?? [Re: 540challenger]
      #7195947 - Mon May 07 2012 12:05 PM Attachment (646 downloads)

My Alterktion has granada rotors.
The guys on Muscle Block T.V. just put
one on their project Dart.
Ask them if it's junk.

--------------------

Edited by demon440 (Mon May 07 2012 12:07 PM)

autoxcuda
Too Many Posts

Loc: So Cal
      #7195967 - Mon May 07 2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Have been looking at the alterkation front end for some time for my cuda. Just don't have the $ now. This month's issue of mopar action made them seem like a piece of junk. How can this be if there has never been a failure that i have heard about and they are pounded at tracks all over week after week? U think this guy has it in for the manufacturer or knows about something the rest of us don't know? It just put some doubt in my pea brain.

Did the article specifically say they hated it? Those are pretty harsh words you are implying were said or meant by Mopar Action. What was really said? Sorry I haven't read the article.

--------------------
Fall Fling XIX
October 25, 2014 Saturday
Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA
www.cpwclub.com
400+ show cars, 150+ swap, manf. midways

Twostick
super street

Reged: May 20 2003
Loc: Downtown Roebuck Ont
Re: ALTERKATION HATED BY MOPAR ACTION?? [Re: demon440]
      #7195970 - Mon May 07 2012 12:26 PM

Like they would tell you a sponsor's product is junk.

Kevin

Sixgun
Nyuck Nyuck Nyuck

Reged: Jan 24 2003
Loc: PacNorthwest
Re: ALTERKATION HATED BY MOPAR ACTION?? [Re: Twostick]
      #7196006 - Mon May 07 2012 12:57 PM

The question that arose in MY 'pea brain' is have I made a mistake getting the adjustable tubular uppers with rod ends instead of bushings?
Mr.Reilly assured me they were plenty durable and beefy for extended street use.
(all the rest of my suspension is stock Mopar.
??????

DJVCuda
Master

Reged: Aug 18 2003
Loc: Atco NJ
Re: ALTERKATION HATED BY MOPAR ACTION?? [Re: Sixgun]
      #7196007 - Mon May 07 2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

The question that arose in MY 'pea brain' is have I made a mistake getting the adjustable tubular uppers with rod ends instead of bushings?
Mr.Reilly assured me they were plenty durable and beefy for extended street use.
??????

Bill's name is on the product and I know he stands behind it - It's his company and his workmanship that have made the AlterK.

Magazines are full of opinions, and not necessarily based on cold hard facts.

I'd have to side with Bill on this - he is the one you'd be calling IF there ever was an issue not the mopar mag.

--------------------

12.56 @106 - 1.745 60'
360 - stock 78 small valve heads, 3.23's
8 1/4 & eddy street ram.

540challenger
master

Reged: Apr 22 2007
Loc: NY usa
Re: ALTERKATION HATED BY MOPAR ACTION?? [Re: Sixgun]
      #7196010 - Mon May 07 2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

??????

I have the alterkation on my challengeronly about 3000 ish miles on the car but it has the same upper arms you have and no problems here

Dodgeguy101
mopar

Reged: Mar 10 2010
Loc: MD-USA
Re: ALTERKATION HATED BY MOPAR ACTION?? [Re: autoxcuda]
      #7196013 - Mon May 07 2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Did the article specifically say they hated it? Those are pretty harsh words you are implying were said or meant by Mopar Action. What was really said? Sorry I haven't read the article.

No, he didn't say it was junk. What I got out of was, it was not intended to used on a a daily driver. If the car was driven strickly at the track and or a few miles to car shows or whatever, it was fine.

He was just pointing out the flaws in some of the parts, regardless if they were used on this system or anything else.

From my own view point, I would welcome his opinion on anything. But again, it is his opinion, but I thought he expalained his position very well.

If you think he is wrong, by all means buy it. You will have to admit, we all hear advice and ignore it if we think it is wrong.

As far as you hearing there was a failure, I doubt anybody that did has your number or email address.

Frankenduster
Sloppy drunk and stupid is no way to go thru life

Reged: Feb 15 2010
Loc: Granite Bay CA
Re: ALTERKATION HATED BY MOPAR ACTION?? [Re: Twostick]
      #7196014 - Mon May 07 2012 01:08 PM

The comments were in a response in the advice section. Much of what was of concern was that it is a replacement of a system that already works just fine.
Many people, in the interest of owning the newest tech, will spring for stuff like this. Todays society has us thinking that the new stuff is better than the old stuff. Often times this is true. In THIS case, Rick sees it different. I am no engineer, but I see his point. This system moves weight forward and up. The steering has MORE bump steer than most stock T bars systems. Wheres the gain? Header clearance? Get a set of Doug's or TTT's. Another point Rick addresses is that these kits add additional load to the frame rails that were never designed for it. Our cars were made as light and as strong as the engineers and bean counters would allow. Now if a person were to add additional support to the frame rails by way of a strut running rearward to the roll bar, THAT may help, but then it seems like you are spending time to have your head shrunk to fit the smaller hat.

Charger727
super gas

Reged: Jan 21 2003
Loc: Eau Claire, WI
Re: ALTERKATION HATED BY MOPAR ACTION?? [Re: Frankenduster]
      #7196028 - Mon May 07 2012 01:24 PM

I read Rick's response and thought it was a very well thought out opinion, not a "I hate it" piece. I wouldn't hesitate to put the alter-K in a street & strip car. But for something that needs to go long distance over less than ideal roads, especially daily driving I would stick with the stock stuff. Rick is also a proponent of modernizing the stock K set up with the new add-ons. (improved upper arms, bushings, one-piece tie rod adjusters, etc.) so he is not stock in the past.

Sixgun
Nyuck Nyuck Nyuck

Loc: PacNorthwest
Re: ALTERKATION HATED BY MOPAR ACTION?? [Re: Charger727]
      #7196046 - Mon May 07 2012 01:40 PM

"not STOCK in the past."
I very much like this double meaning.
I think you may have coined a new and usable phrase.

ragtopdodge
whack job - ragtopdodge

Loc: Seattle
Re: ALTERKATION HATED BY MOPAR ACTION?? [Re: 540challenger]
      #7196088 - Mon May 07 2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Ditto. What failed?

cogen80
About to disappear!!

Reged: Nov 21 2007
Loc: the house on the left.
Re: ALTERKATION HATED BY MOPAR ACTION?? [Re: ragtopdodge]
      #7196201 - Mon May 07 2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ditto. What failed?

from what i remember pete saying in the past, it was one poor weld on that spacer thats welded to the spindle where the rod end bolts. nothing catastrophic. the big bolt holding things together did its job.

BergmanAutoCraft
master

Reged: Nov 28 2003
Loc: Long Island, NY USA
Re: ALTERKATION HATED BY MOPAR ACTION?? [Re: cogen80]
      #7196213 - Mon May 07 2012 03:45 PM

Thats correct.

--------------------

]

Frankenduster
Sloppy drunk and stupid is no way to go thru life

Reged: Feb 15 2010
Loc: Granite Bay CA
Re: ALTERKATION HATED BY MOPAR ACTION?? [Re: BergmanAutoCraft]
      #7196225 - Mon May 07 2012 03:58 PM

I'll add that I also agree that the means RMS used to eliminate bump steer seemed odd. Rick referred to it as a "cantilevered" design.
In smoothe surfaces, the design probably works fine. Imagine taking it on the neglected roads that we drive on every day. The dips, cracks, ruts and potholes would certainly take a toll.

abodyjoe

Loc: Berlin, N.J.
Re: ALTERKATION HATED BY MOPAR ACTION?? [Re: Frankenduster]
      #7196252 - Mon May 07 2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

I'll add that I also agree that the means RMS used to eliminate bump steer seemed odd. Rick referred to it as a "cantilevered" design.
In smoothe surfaces, the design probably works fine. Imagine taking it on the neglected roads that we drive on every day. The dips, cracks, ruts and potholes would certainly take a toll.

my alter-k has been in my dart since july of 2006. its all crappy pot hole (should see my road. wish they would fix the damn thing soon) dip all over south jersey/pa roads driven. system has held up fine. all original heim joints and all. i grease everything every spring while i'm checking the car over for the summer season. if it wasn't a 80 mile round trip for work or gas was $1 a gallon again i would daily drive the car. no doubts in my mind that the system would hold up to daily abuse. only issue i have is that the paint i used on it when it was new is falling the hell off. that pisses me off..

--------------------

It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

www.MoparMisfits.com

pinkduster
master

Reged: Nov 25 2004
Loc: Near Reading PA USA
Re: ALTERKATION HATED BY MOPAR ACTION?? [Re: abodyjoe]
      #7196339 - Mon May 07 2012 05:40 PM

I guess I'm going to have to get a copy of this magazine and read it for myself. Maybe it's just me, but I just don't see the need for the Alterkation set up. First of all, I'm NOT a cornering or handling guy at all, so lets get that out of the way (I run skinnies on the front and drag tires on the back). I do like to drag race a couple of times a year though, so how would the Alterkation benefit me? I suppose it would remove some weight from the car (how much), but if it does in fact move weight more forward in the car, wouldn't that be a BAD thing for drag racing? If you are a drag racer, how has changing to the Alterkation improved your ET.

--------------------

DRJDVM

Reged: Sep 28 2005
Loc: Manteca, CA
Re: ALTERKATION HATED BY MOPAR ACTION?? [Re: pinkduster]
      #7196434 - Mon May 07 2012 07:08 PM

I read the article...... My overall impression is that the author thinks the stock design and set up works perfect so why mess with it....anything different than using the stock Mopar design is a step in the wrong direction

When it comes to "out of the box" suspension designs that handle well..... Mopar doesn't top the list..... Yes you can make it better with aftermarket stuff, but the overall design is very outdated

The RMS stuff isn't perfect but any stretch but to me the overall design is better than stock Mopar stuff

Some guys just don't ever want to evolve from the stock stuff

Jim_Lusk
Baet LA

Reged: Mar 18 2003
Loc: Fresno, CA
Re: ALTERKATION HATED BY MOPAR ACTION?? [Re: DRJDVM]
      #7196440 - Mon May 07 2012 07:16 PM

Mopar (60s-ish torsion bar) may not be top of the heap stuff now, but at the time was the best starting point for a handling build for a domestic automaker. That doesn't mean that there isn't room for improvement or that some of the aftermarket offerings aren't better in some respects.

Rhinodart
Dart Porter

Loc: Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Re: ALTERKATION HATED BY MOPAR ACTION?? [Re: Jim_Lusk]
      #7196467 - Mon May 07 2012 07:38 PM

I have driven several cars with the Alter-K and the Mr. Norms design plus a few other of the designs, and all were based off the Alter-K except the Magnum Force. I have been over 150 MPH and through the twisties a few times at speed and my opinion is the Alter-K is the best. Yes there is some bump steer with some of the designs, but the Alter-K seems to have the least IMHO. The main difference between stock k-frames and Alter-K types are the removal of the torsion bars and addition of coil overs, less weight, better brakes, plus rack and pinion steering. I do agree that the unibody was not designed for the loads on the shock towers that the coil overs have and to be honest tying the frames and gusseting the shock towers should be done if the car is to be street driven alot. Son't forget the infinite adjustability of the new suspensions to your taste, while the stock suspensions are very limited.

savoy64
super stock

Reged: Sep 07 2011
Loc: colorado
Re: ALTERKATION HATED BY MOPAR ACTION?? [Re: Jim_Lusk]
      #7196469 - Mon May 07 2012 07:39 PM

alot of trans am races were won by those antiquated torsion bars--in fact if dodge and plymouth had been counted as a team---they would have won each years series over gm and ford(mercury)---bob

Anonymous
Unregistered

#7196483 - Mon May 07 2012 08:04 PM

I totally agree with Rick on all the points he made.

However...

Rick is all about making things "bomb proof" and I can see where the RMS may have it's shortcoming in an application that sees thousands of street miles in all conditions.

The factory Mopar design is very hard to improve upon when you think about it in that application.

If you're after weight reduction and something that free's up space for headers in a drag-type application then the RMS K is your ticket.

I thought he was very fair in his analogy.

justinp61
super gas

Reged: Oct 01 2003
Loc: W. Kentucky
      #7196514 - Mon May 07 2012 08:25 PM

I have looked at the Alterk kit for my street/strip Dart. It's a very nice set up for sure, but honestly I think my money is better spent elsewhere. As it's set up now it runs high 1.30 60' foot range. I run skinnies up front with Cal-Tracs and monos on the rear so it's set up more to go in a straight line. That being said it doesn't handle bad and is very predictable in the curves.

The only front end upgrades I'm looking at now is a set of adjustable upper control arms with heim ends and adjustable strut rods. The car already has Strange disk on the front, Wilwoods on the rear and will stop on a dime.

Nice front end set up, but not worth the $$$ to me. I like to see more return for the investment on the parts I buy. .

cudaboone
enthusiast

Reged: Apr 17 2010
Loc: Maryland
Re: ALTERKATION HATED BY MOPAR ACTION?? [Re: ]
      #7196547 - Mon May 07 2012 08:42 PM

Did not mean to start a firestorm. I just feel that if you knock something, you should have some facts to back up any and all of your statements. It's no different that any other scientific or professional statement. You have to have data to back them up good or bad. Expecially when it is someone's business/livelyhood.
Hated might have been a little harsh, but he did seem to zero in on alterkation. If i do get one, it looks like a will have to come up with a way to beef up the frame. It looks enticing when you think of the room you will gain.

RUNCHARGER
I Live Here

Loc: Kelowna B.C. Canada
Re: ALTERKATION HATED BY MOPAR ACTION?? [Re: justinp61]
      #7196548 - Mon May 07 2012 08:43 PM

I too think Rick explained it very clearly. I have to agree with him and I'd also have to say his thought process is clearly in today's world.

Sheldon

Jim_Lusk
Baet LA

Reged: Mar 18 2003
Loc: Fresno, CA
Re: ALTERKATION HATED BY MOPAR ACTION?? [Re: Rhinodart]
      #7196557 - Mon May 07 2012 08:47 PM

No need to beef up the shock towers with the AlterK. The upper shock/spring bracket is part of the AlterK. You don't use the original shock tower, as I understand it.

abodyjoe

Loc: Berlin, N.J.
      #7196560 - Mon May 07 2012 08:50 PM

Quote:

Did not mean to start a firestorm. I just feel that if you knock something, you should have some facts to back up any and all of your statements. It's no different that any other scientific or professional statement. You have to have data to back them up good or bad. Expecially when it is someone's business/livelyhood.
Hated might have been a little harsh, but he did seem to zero in on alterkation. If i do get one, it looks like a will have to come up with a way to beef up the frame. It looks enticing when you think of the room you will gain.

its a lot more enticing if you have ever driven a car with one. i'm working on selling a few thing and saving so i can buy a second one to install in jamies dart.

--------------------

It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

www.MoparMisfits.com

slantzilla
Mayor of SlantVille

Loc: Park Forest, IL
Re: ALTERKATION HATED BY MOPAR ACTION?? [Re: RUNCHARGER]
      #7196570 - Mon May 07 2012 08:53 PM

If you really take a look at how a stock Mopar front suspension works you'd realize what a piece of crap it is. The upper A-arm moves in so many different directions there is no way it can not bump steer. Watch any stock suspension Mopar (especially an A body) come down from a wheelstand at the drag strip. The front wheel moves more directions than Shakira's azz.

You think just because you don't wheelstand you've got nothing to worry about? That's just an example of what the geometry looks like going through it's travel. Yours will do the same thing hitting bumps on the highway at speed.

Will it affect most people? No, but an AlterK-Tion addresses the real issues for those who want a suspension that works properly.

Ice~Eagle
Horrido

Reged: Nov 01 2011
Loc: Valles Marineris
Re: ALTERKATION HATED BY MOPAR ACTION?? [Re: slantzilla]
      #7196678 - Mon May 07 2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

If you really take a look at how a stock Mopar front suspension works you'd realize what a piece of crap it is.

On F/J bodies etc.

--------------------
When it takes more than a sweet mullet to prove you rule at the trailer park..

RodStRace
Mine goes to 11

Reged: Sep 21 2005
Loc: Chino Valley
Re: ALTERKATION HATED BY MOPAR ACTION?? [Re: Ice~Eagle]
      #7196690 - Mon May 07 2012 10:11 PM

Slant, while I don't have the heavy background to give either design the nod, I will say that your example is a simplification. By that measure, a straight axle is great!

--------------------

Gotta get one of them new Challengers!
Rod=1940 Plymouth 5.2L/518
ST=1947 Chrysler Windsor
Race=1971 Cuda
Daily driver=closest to High Impact available in '04.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: ALTERKATION HATED BY MOPAR ACTION?? [Re: RodStRace]
      #7196716 - Mon May 07 2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

Slant, while I don't have the heavy background to give either design the nod, I will say that your example is a simplification. By that measure, a straight axle is great!

..if you're into Conestoga's.

cornucopia

Loc: lewiston, ID
      #7196719 - Mon May 07 2012 10:28 PM

I'm in Richard E's corner on this one.

Cab_Burge
Too Many Posts

Reged: Aug 23 2003
Loc: Bend,OR USA
      #7196728 - Mon May 07 2012 10:40 PM

I have read many car articles in many magazines over my life racing cars, I have seen outright lies in print put in by the writer to increase sells. My question on most magazine scribes and their ability to be a authority is what is there background, a degree in writing or are they car racers,Engineers, fabricators or racers that got a job at a magazine writing technical articles Probally there educated in English, publishing and writing, even then I wonder about some of thier wording When I see questions like this I wonder who the writer is and what is his expertise to be a authority on the subject he is writing about You know the old adage, don't beleive anything you hear or read and only half of what you actually see When it comes to money, people lie and cheat

--------------------
Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  moparts, Eric, Hotwheelsjr, Al_Alguire, 70Cuda383, LTDan, tboomer, SanityLost, not_a_charger 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 23717

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Info | Privacy statement main index