Moparts Forums >> Moparts General

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | >> (show all)
Mopar Grandpa
top fuel

Reged: Mar 12 2007
Loc: Brownsburg, Indiana 46112
Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story
      #5565519 - Sun Oct 25 2009 06:18 AM

I posted a thread that was directed to the 16-35 year old Mopar group and it is having a pretty good response. A few of them wanted to hear some of our (over 40?) stories from our teenage years as it related to our cars, racing, etc.

This request reminded me of the weekends hanging out at the local drive-in burger joints showing our rides off, looking for a good race for the evening and just being around a bunch of like minded gear heads. But most of all it reminded me of going from burger joint to burger joint looking for the kid from another high school that thought he had a fast car and then taking him out on the interstate and blowing his doors off.

Having said this I am in no way promoting street racing, it is dangerous and illegal, but the "Young Guns" like hearing our stories so if you have a particular memory that you would like to share please do so. I think they will enjoy hearing about our past as much as we enjoy remembering it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
therocks
Yankee Lover With My Kid

Reged: Jan 20 2003
Loc: Niles , Ohio
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: Mopar Grandpa]
      #5565533 - Sun Oct 25 2009 06:33 AM

Back them it was a lot different.We had a few places here that were actually marked off.They were in the country and basically no cops and no traffic.The local McDonalds was always filled on Fri and Sat nights.There was another burger place called The Yum Yum that if you wanted to run the best is where you went.The A%W and the Dog House was usually good to get a race also.Rocky

--------------------
Chrysler Firepower

AeroMonte
The Coltinator

Reged: Nov 27 2003
Loc: S.E. Missouri
      #5565537 - Sun Oct 25 2009 06:36 AM

First off you have to remember that there weren't as many cars or people on the roads 30 yrs ago and as kids we did some stuuuupid stuff. But, I had a 68 Dart 383, 4spd, 4:10 geared car in high school. There was another gearhead with a Mercury Montego with a stock 302 that always wanted to race. I kept blowing him off because there was no way his Ford could even come close to racing my car. But he kept on harrassing me and spreading rumers in school until one day I offered to take him for a ride on a bet. The bet was I could leave the high school parking lot from a dead stop, peg the speedo and get stopped before we ran into the Shell station at the t-road about 15 blocks away. Getting up to speed was no problem, stopping in time was another story. I won the bet and he never ever wanted to race again.

bigblock340power
Butterscotch, and lovin' it!

Reged: Aug 17 2004
Loc: Elk Grove, Calif.
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: AeroMonte]
      #5565551 - Sun Oct 25 2009 06:55 AM

We all met at the local A&W here in town. But if you were looking for a good time with cars or ? you'd have to go to Sacramento on the "J" street cruse Friday and Saturday nights. Had some fun there. If you wanted to do some racing for money it was off to El Centro. Big money there. You'd better have it all together, and be ready to race.
Going to coffee right now, I'll tell my most favorite story when I get back.

--------------------
A 416 stroker, puts brand X in the rear view mirrors!
Time heals all wounds, and wounds all heels

Mopar Grandpa
top fuel

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: AeroMonte]
      #5565554 - Sun Oct 25 2009 06:58 AM

I graduated from Tech High School (Indy)in 1968 and our school's hang out was Harold's Steer-In & the Little Brown Jug. Other high schools had their own hang outs like the Pole, the north and south side Tee-Pee, the A&W, etc. etc. The younger group probably doesn't remember yelling into a little aluminum box with their food order and then having some young lady bring it out on a tray and hang it on the window of your door but that's the way it was done back then. After throwing down a burger & fries, flirting with some hot chicks (I usually got turned down) then it was off to find the race of the night. A bunch of us would cruise from hang out to hang out slowly driving in front of the rival high school guys, reving our engines and just smiling. If they wanted to race then they followed you out of the drive-in and it was off to find your drag strip. Our's was generally a section of Interstate 74, late at night when trafiic was non existant. Back in those days everyone was home by 11:00 and the interstates were deserted, unlike today. We would actually race from midnight to 2:00 in the morning without ever seeing another car or cop. The cops were probably watching from a hidden location but we never got caught. DO NOT TRY THIS TODAY. We weren't very smart but man it was FUN!

STINGRAY
Clue Less?

Reged: Mar 01 2007
Loc: New Castle, Indiana
      #5565636 - Sun Oct 25 2009 07:58 AM Attachment (402 downloads)

...our town had a Chrysler plant and a big cruise strip...in short, we had a thousand young guys making lots of money and they spent it on HOT cars...any week night the line of cars would stretch from one food joint several miles across town to the other and back...on weekends it was bumper to bumper...cruising meant seeing lots of hot cars in action and hopefully lots of hotter girls...

...I drove a new triple black 69 Chevelle SS 396/375 conv from 69 to 71 until I went to work for Uncle Sam, he needed a few good men, but he even took me...any night on the strip meant seeing one of several local Superbirds and possibly one of the 2 Daytonas in town...there was a sprinkling of AAR CUDAS, several T/A Challengers, quite a few 6 PACK cars including a couple of "Lift Off Hood" cars...I remember a few HEMI cars lumbering around town, but they seldom joined in the antics of the cruisers...HEMI cars were automatically feared and didn't have to prove their stuff to anyone

...there was an abundance of 396/375 Novas in town and a few more Chevelles other than mine...lots of GTOs, everyone had a GOAT it seemed...there was a 69 GTO Judge in town which I finally purchased a few months ago...there was a 68 HURST Olds and 3 1969 HURST Olds in town(one was driven by a blond with a big hairdoo)...on occasion, there was a NICKEY Nova that appeared out of nowhere looking for victims

...after giving the nod on the strip, we would head out to the "dump road" for a race or one of several other places, there were plenty of spots to wind em out...sometimes a couple of cars would hook up at the drive in on the highway near the edge of town and instead of turning right and going back to the strip, they would go left, meaning "the race was on...4 lanes of open road with no cross roads for a long ways...two hot cars in a row with their left turn signals on meant a race was about to go down...saw lots of action at that spot, but one of the best was seeing the silver NICKEY Deuce take a 67 435 Vette and beat him like a red headed step child...the NICKEY sounded like a top fuel dragster as it ripped down the highway...I tried to follow them in my Chevelle but couldn't stay close to the NICKEY Deuce, he was long gone

...GTOs and Chevelles ruled the streets in numbers, but the MOPARS ruled the streets in performance...open headers were the rule on weekend nights, slicks were not uncommon to see, these guys were dead serious about their street racing...sometimes a car from "out of town" would show up cruising the strip looking for a race with money taped in the windshield

...I was also hooked on the sport and can't type long enough to recount the stories on line...I owned a very hot 55 Chevy, a 68 GTO cv and finally the Chevelle so I raced everything in my town and surrounding towns...we played "car tag" chasing each other all over town late at night with no lights on...lots of top end runs and tire spinning...I had the 68 GTO ten months(18K miles) and was on my 5th set of tires...I spent many many hard earned $$$ on repairs, trannys, rear ends, tires and even an engine for the Chevelle...it was brutal on the equipment...a matching numbers car tells me it wasn't driven on cruise nights in my town

...it was a different time, less traffic etc...but it was still stupid, the cars weren't very safe by todays standards and NO ONE used seat belts...I talk to my buddies sometimes and the first thing we realize is we are lucky to still be here, shoulda been killed way back then...there was hardly a day I didn't run well over 100mph just for kix, raced anything that moved, anywhere, anytime...out ran the cops on several occasions...before I was out of highschool I had been stopped 23 times and had 5 tickets...

...one story comes to mind in particular...driving my 68 GTO cv home from a late nite date with my favorite girl of the week and a big white Bonneville cv in front of me motions me to pass him on a local city street...I passed him chirping the tires and he starts chasing me...we went thru several stop signs at about 90mph...they were yelling and blinking their lights etc etc...I didn't recognize the big Poncho so I just kept going...a few clever moves and they were long gone...so, I decided to do a 180, stopped in the middle of the street and waited for them to catch up...I was standing in the seat of my GTO(top was down)giving the finger to the big Poncho...they slid to a stop and jumped out, both were armed off duty cops...pretty soon, there were 5 police cars surrounding me and a major ticket was in my hand...later, one of the cops was suspended over the incident and my ticket was done away with...I still have the ticket in my archives, speeding, reckless driving, disregardind stop signs, improper lane usage no turn signals and resisting arrest...they pretty filled out the whole side of the ticket...lesson here, I didn't pass any more white Bonnevilles EVER AGAIN...

Edited by STINGRAY (Sun Oct 25 2009 08:01 AM)

Mopar Grandpa
top fuel

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: STINGRAY]
      #5565666 - Sun Oct 25 2009 08:18 AM

Now that's the kind of stories I was talking about! Very cool and brings back more & more memories. And I take it you know Mike Leyes in New Castle? Big Mopar guy.

Diego (not Ted)
Ask me about Fins

Reged: Jan 21 2003
Loc: Gabba Gabba Hey! NYC
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: Mopar Grandpa]
      #5565699 - Sun Oct 25 2009 08:39 AM

I remember when I discovered newsgroups when joining the Net, there was a good "room" with some old street racers. One of them was a guy named "Preacher" from the LA area. I think car guys who lived in LA in the 1970s were in heaven, so I'd love to hear some of the stories if anyone here fits that description.

mopars4ever
Wont Whine Anymore!

Loc: md
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: Diego (not Ted)]
      #5565714 - Sun Oct 25 2009 08:49 AM

Our local hangout was Burger King. Two guys one with a 70 Chevelle and the other 68 Pontaic made a bet for IIRC $150. Which was a fair amount of money for the mid to late 70`s. The Chevelle had a small block. The pontaic owner wouldn`t open his hood. They drove out to the local Airport road and raced and the Chevelle lost big time. The Chevelle owner almost broke down in tears saying he didn`t have the money. He said" He didn`t think he was going to lose". He gave him the $50 bucks he had and said he would pay him later. I really doubt that the guy ever got the rest of his money.

STINGRAY
Clue Less?

#5565729 - Sun Oct 25 2009 09:01 AM

...yes, I know Mike and his dad both...good people

05dakota
I Don't Go Anywhere

Loc: albany ny
      #5565746 - Sun Oct 25 2009 09:09 AM

i know of several deaths in the early to mid 70s from this

STINGRAY
Clue Less?

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: 05dakota]
      #5565776 - Sun Oct 25 2009 09:30 AM

Quote:

i know of several deaths in the early to mid 70s from this

...I think many guys figured if they didn't get killed on the street, they would surely get killed in Viet Nam...and, a couple of my street racing friends are on "the Wall"

...deaths from street racing didn't even compare to drug related deaths, even then

CrAzYMoPaRGuY
Proto Type Pacer Owner

Reged: Oct 06 2004
Loc: Canada
      #5565948 - Sun Oct 25 2009 11:24 AM

It seems to ME that "street racing" back in the 1970s was more about organization and cars, and seeing which cars were fast, what worked etc....

Nowadays it seems to ME that "street racing" is more about partying, ego gratification, and bragging rights.

Don't get me wrong- bragging rights factored into street racing since it began, but the ATMOSPHERE has changed over the years, and I find "street racing" nowadays to be a complete and utter waste of time.

Take it to the track, and a TIMESLIP DOES THE TALKIN'!

--------------------

69DodgeCharger
super street

Loc: Middle of the mitten
      #5565957 - Sun Oct 25 2009 11:28 AM

I only have one question. What is a NICKEY Nova?

buildanother
Mr. Loquacious

Reged: Aug 30 2005
Loc: chicagoland,usa
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: 69DodgeCharger]
      #5565964 - Sun Oct 25 2009 11:32 AM

Kinda like a grand spalding dodge, only from Nickey chev.

Diego (not Ted)
Ask me about Fins

Loc: Gabba Gabba Hey! NYC
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your s [Re: 69DodgeCharger]
      #5565970 - Sun Oct 25 2009 11:37 AM

Quote:

I only have one question. What is a NICKEY Nova?

It's a Nova modified by Nickey Chevrolet of Chicago, which was one of the premiere Chevy dealerships in the country. They were one of the ones who was transplanting 427s in cars that didn't have it as an available option.

69DodgeCharger
super street

Loc: Middle of the mitten
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: buildanother]
      #5565971 - Sun Oct 25 2009 11:37 AM

Quote:

I thought it was something like that but had never heard of it.

RUNCHARGER
I Live Here

Loc: Kelowna B.C. Canada
      #5565985 - Sun Oct 25 2009 11:44 AM

We street raced alot. There were a lot of neat cars in my town and no drag strip. We didn't race just anywhere, we would take it out of town somewhere, block off the road and race. I remember a few times the police would be on patrol and come through the mayhem. There were so many of us the cops would just drive through, no way 2 or 3 cops could control more than 100 young guys racing.
A few serious cars would get trailered out but a few guys would just leave the slicks in the trunk and put them on and open up the headers when they arrived.
Oftentimes you would be having a burger at the Dogn Suds or A&W and some loudmouth would show up and you'd end up driving out of town and running. I enjoyed racing most with my 67 GTX that looked stock and would generally take down the guys with tunnel rams and big tires. My factory Pink Challenger was fun too with a strong 440 and later a well tuned Hemi.
The scene started tapering off around 1975 and just got worse and worse, everyone seemed to lose their balls to be honest. People started to conform to all the rules and started families and things got boring.
Nowadays there's too many people, too much traffic and Street racing is stupid especially if there is a track available. I still think street racing is less harmful to society than drugs, corporate greed and beating the heck out of the wife is though.

Sheldon

Mopar Grandpa
top fuel

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: buildanother]
      #5566012 - Sun Oct 25 2009 11:57 AM

Quote:

Me and a couple buddies had the fortune of visiting both Nicky Chevrolet and Grand Spalding Dodge back in the late 60's. That was one of the best memories I'll ever have. Seeing those modified factory muscle cars was enough to make any young boy drool for days.

JonC
Not Changed. Still An Enthusiast

Loc: Millinocket, Maine
      #5566065 - Sun Oct 25 2009 12:35 PM

I never knew anyone that got killed while racing a marked off quarter mile or light to light. The kids that got killed around here were the ones that did the stock car type racing. IE, who could get to the next town or one of the local lakes the quickest. Some one would surely lose it in a turn sometimes with oncoming traffic. I hate it when the media calls these events Drag Racing on the streets when it is more like Stock Car racing.

Blue_Bomb
addict

Reged: Feb 05 2005
Loc: owt west
      #5566114 - Sun Oct 25 2009 01:16 PM

Quote:

I posted a thread that was directed to the 16-35 year old Mopar group and it is having a pretty good response. A few of them wanted to hear some of our (over 40?) stories from our teenage years as it related to our cars, racing, etc.

This request reminded me of the weekends hanging out at the local drive-in burger joints showing our rides off, looking for a good race for the evening and just being around a bunch of like minded gear heads. But most of all it reminded me of going from burger joint to burger joint looking for the kid from another high school that thought he had a fast car and then taking him out on the interstate and blowing his doors off.

Having said this I am in no way promoting street racing, it is dangerous and illegal, but the "Young Guns" like hearing our stories so if you have a particular memory that you would like to share please do so. I think they will enjoy hearing about our past as much as we enjoy remembering it.

Don't you think the 80s should be included , the cars were cheap and plentifull!

jake4cars
top fuel

Reged: Oct 14 2007
Loc: SoCal
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: Blue_Bomb]
      #5566179 - Sun Oct 25 2009 01:56 PM

I didn't start my street racing until the early 70's but I was lucky that my neighborhood was full of guys a little older than I who took me with them. This crowd included big block Chevelles and Camaros plus a lot of RoadRunners and even a couple of Six Pack cars. I grew up in central Conn so we had the Berlin Turnpike where a real mean black 67 Hemi GTX hung out and the East West service roads in Hartford. It was a great time to be young. I remember one of the older guys had Tourette's syndrome pretty bad where he couldn't hardly carry on a conversation but after three beers he settled down, stopped shaking and could really row his 4 speed Chevelle with the best of them, go figure!. The streets today are too crowded to do the same stuff but it was fun then.
Joey

JonC
Not Changed. Still An Enthusiast

Loc: Millinocket, Maine
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: jake4cars]
      #5566259 - Sun Oct 25 2009 02:37 PM

Quote:

I didn't start my street racing until the early 70's but I was lucky that my neighborhood was full of guys a little older than I who took me with them. This crowd included big block Chevelles and Camaros plus a lot of RoadRunners and even a couple of Six Pack cars. I grew up in central Conn so we had the Berlin Turnpike where a real mean black 67 Hemi GTX hung out and the East West service roads in Hartford. It was a great time to be young. I remember one of the older guys had Tourette's syndrome pretty bad where he couldn't hardly carry on a conversation but after three beers he settled down, stopped shaking and could really row his 4 speed Chevelle with the best of them, go figure!. The streets today are too crowded to do the same stuff but it was fun then.
Joey

I was there at that time with a 70 RR. Berlin Turnpike and East Hartford light to light. The fun would start usually on Thursday night and carry thru till Sunday. Was there about 4 years ago and met Kissalien and a few others at Burger king on the pike. And the Hartford drive in was closed.

A34
top fuel

Reged: Feb 08 2005
Loc: God's Country - Etowah, TN.
      #5566294 - Sun Oct 25 2009 02:59 PM Attachment (434 downloads)

Not sure if this fits, but I hope you guys like it. It's a story I wrote for my local car club newsletter a few years ago. I agree street racing today is stupid, and they will throw you under the jail if caught.

1969 Charger R/T vs. 1971 GT-37

Flashback to late May 1983, first Saturday after graduating High School, I'm cruising in my trusty Green 1969 Charger R/T, 440 4-spd car, and run into a fellow Senior in his car. We didn't run in the same crowd, so we never spoke during school, however, we'd often pass each other while cruising the 2 lane highway that ran through the middle of town. We'd always rev our engines at each other, bounce the front-ends and other stupid crap teenagers do. But, we never met side by side until this night. He pulled out from a gas station on the main drag just as I pulled out from a side street onto that same stretch, meeting each other at the same time.

He had a Red 1971 Pontiac GT-37. I believe it was a 400 auto with the typical cam, headers and carb. My car was stock, but of course it was a Big Block Mopar! Anyway, we drove up through town for the next couple of blocks goosing the cars. We stopped at an intersection, which just happened to be beside an old walk-in movie theater that had been converted to a Holy Roller Church. The Church was letting out at the time we pulled up to the light. The sidewalk was full of very serious looking people.

The GT-37 driver brought it up against the stall, which got the attention of the Churchgoers. I tried to be cool and idle the 440 up to 1500 rpm while holding the clutch. I got nervous and ran it up to about 2500 and the light turned Green. I dumped the clutch and left the line absolutely smoking the tires, bias-ply’s mind you - G-60-14's. So did the GT-37, but not quite as bad. As my car slid right, I could see he had me by a fender off the line due to my over-revving. I still remember the open jawed bystanders as we left the line. My car quickly ran up to the shift point and I nailed second.

When I hit second, it was like the Charger hit warp speed, I left the GT-37 in the weeds. I literally pulled him so hard that by the time I was in mid third gear, I backed out of it because he was wayyyyy behind. I waited for him to catch up. He pulled up beside me and gave me the obligatory loser nod. I was cool, and gave a slight nod back. That's right, I won, you lost. Don't mess with Mopar. Yada, yada, yada.

Anyway, it was late by the time all this happened, so I drove home. As I pulled in the driveway, I heard something funny. The car didn't sound right. Oh no, had I hurt it? I got out and listened, it was missing. Hmmm, not good. I popped the hood in the gravel driveway and dug out the flashlight. As I scanned the engine compartment, it hit me. Number 7 plug wire was swinging in the breeze. I plugged it back and she purred like a kitten again. So, not only did I beat the GT-37, but I did it on 7 cylinders! Ok, ok, it was a 400 Pontiac, but hey 7 cylinders is kinda cool don't you think?

I left for Army basic training shortly thereafter and didn't think much about it. Just another easy kill. Then, my running buddy from high school, Jimmy, sends me a letter. In it he detailed how the GT-37 driver was running his mouth about how fast his car was. Jimmy, being the ultimate cool guy, saunters up in the middle of the crowd and states that he knows where a certain Green Charger is, if he really wants to race and thinks he's fast. The GT-37 driver wasn't a happy camper at that announcement and publicly turned down Jimmy's offer, receiving several derisive remarks from the crowd. That letter really brightened up my day after being yelled at by Drill Sergeants all day.

I did not see the GT-37 driver again for many years. But, around 12 years after that fateful May night, there was a car show close to my hometown. I happened to be in town visiting the folks. I decided to drop in, and he was there with his car. I was impressed he still had it. Looked like he had just painted it, it was missing the decals. No mistaking it was the same car. I didn’t see him until I was getting ready to leave. I resisted the urge to go up to him and say, "Hey, the last time I saw you; you were in my rear view mirror". Instead, as I was finishing a conversation with someone, he walked by, looked at me, did a double take, I nodded and smiled, and he moved out swiftly. I thought to myself, “Well, I guess he doesn’t want to talk to me.” I left and went back to my folk’s house, not thinking much about it. I regret not following him and at least saying, “Hi”.

Attached pic is Jimmy and I, December 1984, while on leave from the Army from beautiful West Germany.

--------------------
Just because you own a fast car, doesn't mean you know how to drive a fast car.
God Bless America, Our Troops and Their Families !
DEO VINDICE

Edited by A34 (Sun Oct 25 2009 03:01 PM)

Mopar Grandpa
top fuel

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: A34]
      #5566857 - Sun Oct 25 2009 07:15 PM

As far as I'm concerned it fits and fits very well. Thanks for the story.

RUNCHARGER
I Live Here

#5566898 - Sun Oct 25 2009 07:32 PM

One of my favorite memories. A savvy street racer always just wins by a fender... My Challenger had the original, dull paint, stock exhaust manifolds and a 383 pie tin on the extremely worked 440. I was up against a 455 SD Trans Am. Coming out of the hole I got into it a bit too much and ended up on the dirt shoulder of the road. I got it back on the road and then proceeded to reel in the 8 or 10 carlengths that the SD had gained.
No one would race me the rest of the night after that, everyone did want to look under the hood though.

Sheldon

jake4cars
top fuel

Reged: Oct 14 2007
Loc: SoCal
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: JonC]
      #5567031 - Sun Oct 25 2009 08:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Joey

I was there at that time with a 70 RR. Berlin Turnpike and East Hartford light to light. The fun would start usually on Thursday night and carry thru till Sunday. Was there about 4 years ago and met Kissalien and a few others at Burger king on the pike. And the Hartford drive in was closed.

I remember the East Hartford stoplight to stoplight stuff, I was back home in May for the first time in a looong time and couldn't believe the traffic, no way that stuff could go on today.
Joey

skyhawk61
enthusiast

Reged: Apr 27 2006
Loc: hickory nc USA
      #5567145 - Sun Oct 25 2009 09:10 PM

It was 1964-68, and most of the street racing around here was stoplight to stoplight out on US70, a four-lane stretch just outside of the city limits. It wasn't chock full of businesses like today, and our county only had one or two state troopers on duty at any given time.In those days, NC law split street racing into two types:1) spontaneous, where you just rolled up beside someone at a light, asked them if they wanted to go, and nailed it on the green; 2) pre-arranged, where the racers met somewhere 1st to decide when and how the race would be run. Anyone doing prearranged ran the risk of having the book thrown at them if caught--arrested, car confiscated and possibly sold by the court; anyone who gathered to watch the race got charged as well if they were caught. There was some of this going on in a county next door, even to the point of marking off the quarter mile with spray paint. The highway patrol watched this one pretty close, so you had to pick your night and time.
I had a 57 Pontiac Star Chief 2dr hardtop that was good off the line, good enough for a few stoplight encounters till I got smarter. Lots of Chevelle SS 396s, GTOs, modified 57 Chevy's, Mopars of all descriptions, you name it, it was out there.
The town got bigger--more police, more troopers in the county, lots more traffic, and we grew up. Nobody crashed, nobody got hurt, and only a very few ever got arrested for prearranged racing...most of the tickets that were written for spontaneous racing got changed to speeding or reckless driving in court.Different days then. I have heard it said that experience is really nothing but being able to survive your mistakes--may be something to that.

SCATPK
Happy Herbs

Reged: Jan 19 2003
Loc: San Francisco Ca
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: skyhawk61]
      #5567225 - Sun Oct 25 2009 09:50 PM

Not a story from the 60`s or 70`s but from 1981. I bought a 1969 Dart Swinger 340 from a guy in the neighborhood that had the car just sitting out on the street in front of the neighborhood grocery store. I had a 1968 Firebird with a 389 and 3 2bbls that I had traded for a 1968 Dart Western Sports Special with a trusty slant six that I bought for $400.00. The guy with the dart lived aross the street from the grocery store and I would often see him and his buddies hanging out in the garage wrenching on cars mostly gm products. Everytime I went to that store he would eyeball the firechicken and I would look at the Dart. One day he came out and asked if I wanted to sell the bird and I said sure if that Dart is for sale. We ended up trading and I ended up pushing the dart a block away to my house due to a bad transmission. Turned out the guy bought the Dart from the original owner with about 150,000 on the clock and beat the crap out of it. He actually painted the car white over the faded Y2 yellow with a spray can and it looked pretty beat. It was completly original and I was a happy camper as I now had my first factory high performance mopar. I ended up pulling the trans in the street and had it rebuilt with a nice shift kit. I gave it a complete tune up with new wires and all and it roarded to life. Once it was running I quickly realized it also needed a 3rd member as the original 323`s were clunking. I swapped them out for a set of junk yard 391`s and all was well. Me and a buddy of mine were out cruising the streets of San Francisco one night when we decided to head down the penisula to San Mateo where they had a big cruise every Friday & Saturday night on the El Camino Real. We drove down and cruised the main street for a bit and though my Dart sounded good it looked a bit rough, actually the original vinyl top was ripped/shredded and a good portion of it was missing. We came across 4 guys in a 66 Chevelle SS 396 that was painted candy apple red with stripes that sounded hot and looked good, and these guys started yelling out the window with the mopars are -rap -hit and wanted to race. Well up untill that point I had never raced anyone in my life and was a bit nervous. We came to a red light and we were side by side. I heard him rev his engine so I held the brake and brought the rpms up a bit and shifted into low. When the light turned green he passed me and made it across the intersection first. But I was catching him and when I hit second my little dart pulled away from the Chevelle badly. Pulled into a station a couple of blocks away and the guys in the Chevelle followed. They jumped out of the car and said what do you have under the hood? You should have seen their faces when they all saw that greasy stock 340 sitting in the hole even with its factory aircleaner still in place. My buddy looked at them all and said you guys just got stung by the Dodge Scat Pack and Chevys Suck! This is my story and I am sticking to it.

--------------------
1968 Plymouth GTX 528Hemi 4spd 354 gear
1966 Dodge Dart GT Convertible 225/Auto
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 6spd

sthemi
master

Reged: Jun 07 2004
Loc: Chicago Burbs
      #5569239 - Mon Oct 26 2009 10:50 PM

Back in the mid 70s we used to cruise Archer av in Chicago, for some stoplight action..
Anyway,
I was driving the 68 Charger with a Dyer's blown 440 in my sig. and one of the header cones breaks off, leaving one side open...It was Loud..really loud.
So the guy in a early nova with a built small block needs to try out the blown Charger...
The results were predictable, but Chicago's finest was not far away and heard but did not see anything illegal...
I would up with an opportunity to contribute to the Chicago budget...

--------------------
Video Little Red Wagon Indy Nats,BurnoutContest

Mopar Grandpa
top fuel

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: sthemi]
      #5569344 - Tue Oct 27 2009 04:02 AM

My first Mopar..a black 62 Dodge Dart, 361 auto. This is 1967 and I'm 17. Picked it up on Friday evening and drove it to school on Monday. Monday after school, with 4 of my buddies in the car, a bow tie is right on my bumper after we pull out of the school parking lot so I'm gonna show him who has the fastest car so I nailed it and of course so did he, still behind me but in the same lane as this was a narrow street in midtown Indy. Well an officer pulls me over and writes me a ticket for a 50 in a school zone, drag racing, loud pipes and reckless driving, lets the other guy go.

Go to court with my mom (my dad knew the judge) and I'm only charged with reckless driving (6 points)but the judge tells me to give my keys and license to my mom for 3 months. After leaving the court room she refuses to give me my keys and license back and to make matters worse she drives my car for the next 3 months and yes all my buddies saw her driving my new ride, how embarrasing. However, other than a speeding ticket in the same year I haven't had a ticket since and now I'm 59 & 5/16. Guess I learned my lesson: Speed is for the drag strip not the streets and interstates.

Blue_Bomb
addict

Reged: Feb 05 2005
Loc: owt west
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: sthemi]
      #5569611 - Tue Oct 27 2009 09:09 AM

Quote:

Back in the mid 70s we used to cruise Archer av in Chicago, for some stoplight action..
Anyway,
I was driving the 68 Charger with a Dyer's blown 440 in my sig. and one of the header cones breaks off, leaving one side open...It was Loud..really loud.
So the guy in a early nova with a built small block needs to try out the blown Charger...
The results were predictable, but Chicago's finest was not far away and heard but did not see anything illegal...
I would up with an opportunity to contribute to the Chicago budget...

Youre not rich myier (sp) who had the blown 68 from Il who lived in Simi Valley for awhile?

Pyper70
Glowing Flamer

Reged: Jan 22 2003
Loc: Athens, Greece & Torrance, Ca
      #5569635 - Tue Oct 27 2009 09:27 AM

Thanks for sharing these stories fellas....I am only 30 and never really did any street racing in my time. Played a few times on the track and a few times harassing the imports but I wish I lived in the hay day and got to experience what you guys did....Its my generation and the next one to keep these stories alive...

--------------------
Pete

Family owned 1969 Charger R/T DualQuad 440/727/GVO/3.55s

PTHemi
Packer Backer!!

Reged: Sep 23 2005
Loc: Ia, US
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: Blue_Bomb]
      #5569715 - Tue Oct 27 2009 10:29 AM

1976, as a junior in HS I owned a respectable 1972 340 3-sp duster.After the usual "farmer's boy modifications" the car ran like hell, and for some reason always seemed to beat any small block. and several big blk. cars. My favorite story was in 76 after spending time at the local drive-in some Charles City guys in a 455 trans am started "chest beating" We took it to a back road blk. top and settled it for 50 bucks. The start was even but when I hit 2nd. I pulled 3 car lengths ahead and never looked back...as we stopped at the local car lot they jumped out and screamed what the hell do you got in there! I popped the hood and they left shaking there heads and 50 bucks lighter they couldn't get past the stock air-cleaner...Fast forward to 1991 after college and paying off loans, I had accumulated 4 or 5 mopars. One was a 71 340 4spd blk on blk duster. when I bought it in 85 it sported a custom 3-tone paint job and stripped for the 1/4 mile.. I painted it vit. c dropped in a 440, 509 cam, 915 hds with mild port and max. wedge valves, 4 spd with low 2nd. gear, and added b-body dana with 4.56 gears, street stickies and SS springs, 90/10 front shocks , fenderwall hooker headers, 850 double pumper on holley High rise with spacer.. .. car ran 11.60's through exhaust and would pull the wheels ... one night I brought the beast out I ran into a 64 ford falcon. it sported a "lumpy" sound, roll bar, super lites rims, big tac on dash and gorgeous girlfriend..the stage was set on a 3 lane university ave. in Cedar Falls Iowa, I was in the middle lane,Ford on left and a bunch of HS kids on my right in a chevette..On launch the duster pt. up and I only had to " slide step and spd. shift 1,2and into 3rd.. by that time I was way out front and coasted to the next light...the girl smiled and said " wow damn nice car" the driver never looked, and the HS. boys went nuts.. I just rumbled away later I put in a tran-brake, j-converter, and would run 11.15 all day long....now I'm going to repaint it blk. with ghost flames and add a 400 stroker.....

minivan
Aging Rapidly

Reged: Jan 13 2004
Loc: Eugene, Oregon
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: PTHemi]
      #5569735 - Tue Oct 27 2009 10:40 AM

My recollection of that time ( I am 54) was the endless lines of muscle cars cruising in traffic backed up for miles.. Main idea was checking out the ladies going in the opposite direction.. Traffic was so slow you could get a good look at them... Usually had to go blow out the plugs a couple of times a night, and make some cool down runs...

Very similar to the cruises nowadays ( without the crowds of people on the sidewalks) except these were our " everyday drivers"....

RUNCHARGER
I Live Here

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: minivan]
      #5569745 - Tue Oct 27 2009 10:46 AM

It was about 1976 and I was visiting my friend in Red Deer Alberta in my 67 GTX. We were cruising around and were on some main street (Gaetz ave?) which headed out of town and onto the freeway, we were following a hot rodded 69 Ford pickup and something else, my friend thought they were going out of town to race. Well right in front of us they both jumped on it at the green light. I thought to myself "hey they must be racing lets keep up" well I was behind the car but I wasn't all the way into the throttle so I matted it, got around the car then changed lanes again and got the pickup too.

Sheldon

hemicop
super stock

Reged: Apr 19 2008
Loc: Phoenix,Az.
      #5569754 - Tue Oct 27 2009 10:48 AM

Growing up in NYC in the late 60s/early 70s streetracing was as common as sewer rats so any gerhead from then has tons of stories. You could literally go anywhere and find a race on one of NYC's many highways. In Queens, one of the places to hang was the World's Fair Marina parking lot not far from Shea Stadium. We'd meet there, set-up a race & go up on the Van Wyck Expressway and square-off. The neat thing about the lot was, for some reason they had laid two strips of asphalt on either side the length of the lot. Guys would do burn-outs & generally show-off while everyone parked in between these two strips.
Back then I had a tubbed & caged Chevy powered Pinto (apply appropriate comments here) that was "ProStreet" before the term became popular. On this particular night some guy comes in with a '68 or so Mustang, smokes the tires the length of the asphalt strip, jumps out & says he'll run ANYONE for ANY amount--dumb thing to do in NYC. Dumber still, my buddies convince me to square-off with him, but first I should "test" the car. I pull up onto the asphalt, bring the revs up & dump the clutch. The front-end rises somewhat, as expected, but when I grabbed second I felt a jolt I never really had felt before. I continue on my little "test", turn around & park across from the Mustang, get out & just lean against the car. Before my friends could get to me the guy jumps in his 'stang & bolts out of the lot. Confused, I just sit there until my friends join me. One of my friends then tells me the guy just about s#$t himself, as when I grabbed second I had apparently pulled the front wheels a foot or so! I had never done that before so I was (rightly) proud of the display. The pride didn't last long though as some guys from Brooklyn showed up with a trailerd car & wanted to run me. My wallet & ego simply couldn't afford that type of race.
Years later my Dad was doing some charity work outside Shea Stadium when he met a police officer who told a story of his older brother taking him to the street races near there when he was younger. He remembered a bright green Pinto he thought the guy driving it was nuts & wondered whatever became of it. My Dad just laughed & said he knew of the car & yes, the guy DID have a few screws loose. Thanks, Dad!

Paul_Fancsali
super gas

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: hemicop]
      #5569844 - Tue Oct 27 2009 11:28 AM

One of my favorite races was with my buddy's 426 Hemi GTX Rod shop built with 4.56 gears 4 spd and 2" Hooker headers. All this aginst my Duster 340 4 spd with a 292 cam and Custom headers.and 4.10s Three different times in 3 places I beat that car by a car The last time he screamed that I cheated due to power shifting! When I was younger I street raced almost daily during the summer and whenever I could in the winter! I loved it,I realize now how lucky I was not to get killed as we really pushed the cars but after 11 oclock there was no real traffic back late 60 early mid 70s By the way I still have the car and a nitrous bottle if need be which I did not have then

massdaytona
Envious

Reged: Jan 07 2006
Loc: boston mass-moving to long isl...
Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: Paul_Fancsali]
      #5570228 - Tue Oct 27 2009 02:44 PM

if u street raced in the 60's/early 70's in nyc, it started and ended on south ave. in staten island...

Mopar Grandpa
top fuel

Re: Street Racing in the 60's & 70's - Tell them your story [Re: massdaytona]
      #5570271 - Tue Oct 27 2009 03:02 PM

Quote:

if u street raced in the 60's/early 70's in nyc, it started and ended on south ave. in staten island...

Any good stories that you'd like to share with the young pups?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | >> (show all)

Extra information
33 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  moparts, SanityLost, tboomer, 70Cuda383, Eric, LTDan, Hotwheelsjr, not_a_charger, Al_Alguire 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 95987

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Info | Privacy statement main index