Moparts Extras >> Tech Archive / Best of Moparts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
Anonymous
Unregistered



paint job on a budget!?
      #2331682 - Mon Jan 23 2006 08:04 AM

Can someone refer me to a shop or individual who would do a decent job(minor body work) and spray my '69 GTX on a 3-$4,000.00 budget that I have to hold to? Am I way out of line to think someone would do it for this amount? I live approx. 1 hr. north of Detroit. If anyone could help me out I'd really appreciate it in a BIG WAY!! Please p.m. me or call 810-392-3781 Sincerely, Randy Borawski

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
moderncylinder
super street


Reged: Oct 30 2004
Loc: detroit area
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: ]
      #2331887 - Mon Jan 23 2006 09:31 AM

The guy that painted my camaro was very reasonable in labor price and local.
But to say 3-4000 with minor body work whats minor to you maybe magor more detail a few dents ? patches?? rotted wheel well lips??

And a huge variable what color white thats cheap red expensive metalic big bucks ??

i had close to 2,000 in paint and clear not to mention sealer primer

Bob

--------------------
www.moderncylinderhead.com

WANTED,, Something for Nothing, MUST be better than NEW condition,, YOU pay shipping...


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Dartman928
master


Reged: Aug 12 2003
Loc: IN
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: moderncylinder]
      #2332011 - Mon Jan 23 2006 10:24 AM

The two don't go hand in hand brother. You get what you pay for in that business or you could try to learn how to do it and save some money but be prepared for a big learning curve.

Good Luck

--------------------

You know what the problem is with common sense.......It's not so common.
Trying to catch 340Rick...Couldnt catch him...... SOLD!!
Copy Cat Racing


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BobR
mad man


Reged: Oct 01 2004
Loc: Left Coast
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: moderncylinder]
      #2332015 - Mon Jan 23 2006 10:25 AM

I was trying to find someone to paint my car for around the amount you are talking. I had no body work-just needed to be primed and blocked out before topcoating. My car is in the paint shop now on a "we'll do it in between collision work" deal. Price? $9,600 for a bright red-no metallic job. Car has vinyl top so no roof paint either and I had it mostly disassembled when I brought it to the guy. VERY HARD to find a deal on paint anymore. -Bob

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hellrzr
super gas


Reged: Jan 20 2003
Loc: Madrid, IA
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: ]
      #2332231 - Mon Jan 23 2006 11:51 AM

Maybe you can find a private guy who will let you help. I found a local guy to paint my engine bay. He let me come out to his shop and do all the sanding and prep work. He did a little rust repair and final masking. It was great because I saved some money and I learned some valuable things about body work. Now I can go out and watch/help him work when I want. He charged me $30 per hour which is pretty cheap for a good body guy.

--------------------


Dave
1974 Plymouth RoadRunner. 470 installed and back on the road!!!
1973 Plymouth Satellite Sebring , 1998 Dodge RAM Club Cab Sport
1984 Dodge Charger , 1986 Daytona Turbo Z


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hotrodsr1
member


Reged: May 28 2005
Loc: Florida, USA
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: ]
      #2332966 - Mon Jan 23 2006 04:25 PM

I would love to do it i love to do work like that and i would not charge a arm and a leg i would want the advertisement with somthang like that. You can see my work on www.insanemustangs.com I did the work on the blue mustang under darkhorse or millerperforance is the compony that was only 3500.00 that was all the body work and paintThe car was painted blue with white fad and ghost scallops in purple pearl.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
reflections7
master


Reged: Jan 20 2003
Loc: Columbus Ga
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: ]
      #2333115 - Mon Jan 23 2006 05:17 PM

Go to several of your paint supply dealers in your area. Ask them this same question you posted here. There are many of us that did it on the side and Im sure they could set you up. Usually someone that does it on the side will let you prep the car to save some money. Like removing bumpers,chrome,lights,mirrors ect. You could also ask the painters at some shops if they would reccomend someone. I got a lot of my work from friends that only do collision work.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mustanghater
Pillow Pants


Reged: Jan 10 2005
Loc: Mentor,Ohio
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: reflections7]
      #2333123 - Mon Jan 23 2006 05:21 PM

what ever happened to rattle can paint jobs? I think it gives cars a " I can take on anything" look.

--------------------
AIM: spencespeed
www.myspace.com/spencespeed


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
69chargeryeehaa
pro stock


Reged: Jan 04 2006
Loc: toronto canada
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Mustanghater]
      #2338616 - Wed Jan 25 2006 12:34 PM

here's how i painted my car for about $50, it's actually very easy and the results are amazing. First off, get a can of tremclad real orange (or what ever color u want) in the can, not spray, yes tremclad, it is a acrylic/enamel paint which is very durable. next prep your car as if was any other paint job, fix all the rust, ect....no need to prime the car since the tremclad allready contains elements which allow it to be painted over bare metal. next, after prepping the car get a small 4" professional FOAM rollers, it's tiny and has one end rounded off, and the other cut straight, and is a very high density foam. u also need a jug of mineral spirits to thin the paint. The thing i really like about this is that there's no mess, no tapeing the whole car, just key areas, and u can do it in your garage, since your not spraying there is virtually no dust in the air, just clean your garage first, also it does'nt really smell at all, dries overnight and it super tough paint. also it you decide to paint the car professionally later, just prep and paint, there's no need to strip the tremclad. i have done this to a few cars, and i can say it works amazing, u just have to be paitient. next u thin the paint with mineral spirits so it just about as thin as water, a little thicker. get out the roller and paint away, don't get the paint shaked when u buy it, enamel is stirred, otherwise you'll have bubbles in the paint for a week!!! after u do 2 coats, wet sand the whole car, then repeat, 2 coats, wetsand, 2 coats wetsand. i painted the charger using a can since your not spraying the car u use all the paint and not spray 50% in the air, use progressivly finer sand paper each time. it's not really that much work, cause u can stop and start any time, u can do just a door, or the hood, ect. do one panel at a time, and don't stop once you start. once your done the final coat, wetsand with about 1000 grit to a totally smooth finish, and then using a high speed polisher i use a buffing bonnet and turtle wax polishing compound. do the whole car with this, and i'm telling u, depending on the amount of time and paitence you have, the results are amazing. laugh if you want, but for $50 ($30 for paint, about $20 for rollers, sand paper, ect...) it really looks good. also you can do these steps overnight, paint one evening and by morning u can wet sand. i have personally done alot of painting, mostly single stage acrylic enamel, and i've sprayed several cars in my garage with really good professional results, just it stinks, it's a real pain to do, easy to make a mistake, messy, and expensive. The tremclad is awesome paint, the "real orange" is an amazing hemi orange, and almost looks like it has some perl in the sun, awesome color right out of the can. I used this technique on my 1974 beetle also, here are the results:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/Picture10.jpg
the car before:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/IM000475.jpg
another after pic:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/DSC00164.jpg
here is a car i sprayed (71 beetle, midnight blue metalic):
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/DSC00194.jpg
here is the car before (71 beetle):
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/Picture1.jpg

here's a few pics of the charger done:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/DSC02764.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/DSC02769.jpg

well that's my 2 cents worth, sorry for the long post. i was borred lol
i painted the orange beetle in 1999, and it still looks like the day i painted it, the 71 blue beetle i painted in 2000, and built the car for my dad, i used the same paint on my charger, maybe one day i'll spring for a good paint job, prepping is 90% of the work, stripping the car, sanding, ect.....painting is overrated!!!
So if you have TIME, then i'd say go for it, the worst that could happen is that it does'nt turn out and your out $50, but if your paitient, and expriement with lets say just the trunk pannel and if you like it do the whole car, if not just get it done by someone else for $4000. i don't know about you guys, but i would rather spend the $4000 on other parts like getting the mechanics sorted out and new chrome, cause when u have really nice paint and crappy bumpers, door handles it just sticks out more.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
closer9
super street


Reged: Jan 28 2004
Loc: SW MO
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Mustanghater]
      #2338699 - Wed Jan 25 2006 01:04 PM

Quote:

what ever happened to rattle can paint jobs? I think it gives cars a " I can take on anything" look.




I've got one! 1975 F100 SWB. Rattle can flat black, well not done yet... Just taking it one panel at a time, as I feel so inclined. Looks better than brown/tan missing the trim...

--------------------

Daily:
'04 Civic EX Coupe
Belle:
'67 Belvedere Convertible, 318/727 in Go ManGo!
Other:
'79 K5 2" lift and 33's
'64 C10 283/3 on the tree


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
patrick
moparts member


Reged: Jan 20 2003
Loc: Grand Haven, MI
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: closer9]
      #2338734 - Wed Jan 25 2006 01:13 PM

I know of a place here on the west side that will probably do it for that much....

--------------------
1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2006 Inferno Red Dodge Caravan SXT
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CJK440
master


Reged: Jan 20 2003
Loc: Ansonia, CT
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: closer9]
      #2338737 - Wed Jan 25 2006 01:14 PM

Dude, you painted this Charger with a roller??



Are you serious?? If so you rock!!

You can probably sell that article to Car Craft, they'd eat it up!!

--------------------
Just enjoying the drive...... Back to basics with a little boost thrown in.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Russ
super gas


Reged: Oct 08 2003
Loc: Gulf Coast of Florida
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: closer9]
      #2338745 - Wed Jan 25 2006 01:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

what ever happened to rattle can paint jobs? I think it gives cars a " I can take on anything" look.




I've got one! 1975 F100 SWB. Rattle can flat black, well not done yet... Just taking it one panel at a time, as I feel so inclined. Looks better than brown/tan missing the trim...




Thank goodness for Big Lots

--------------------
2001 Durango 5.9 Magnum
99 Durango 5.9 Magnum


Parting out 99 Durango 5.9,99 Ram 1500 and 98 Ram 1500 5.9
WANTED.Ram Truck,Durango/Dakota parts and parts trucks!!PM Me.
GO BUCKS!!!!
Go GATORS!!!!


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered



Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa]
      #2338766 - Wed Jan 25 2006 01:20 PM

Quote:

here's how i painted my car for about $50, it's actually very easy and the results are amazing. First off, get a can of tremclad real orange (or what ever color u want) in the can, not spray, yes tremclad, it is a acrylic/enamel paint which is very durable. next prep your car as if was any other paint job, fix all the rust, ect....no need to prime the car since the tremclad allready contains elements which allow it to be painted over bare metal. next, after prepping the car get a small 4" professional FOAM rollers, it's tiny and has one end rounded off, and the other cut straight, and is a very high density foam. u also need a jug of mineral spirits to thin the paint. The thing i really like about this is that there's no mess, no tapeing the whole car, just key areas, and u can do it in your garage, since your not spraying there is virtually no dust in the air, just clean your garage first, also it does'nt really smell at all, dries overnight and it super tough paint. also it you decide to paint the car professionally later, just prep and paint, there's no need to strip the tremclad. i have done this to a few cars, and i can say it works amazing, u just have to be paitient. next u thin the paint with mineral spirits so it just about as thin as water, a little thicker. get out the roller and paint away, don't get the paint shaked when u buy it, enamel is stirred, otherwise you'll have bubbles in the paint for a week!!! after u do 2 coats, wet sand the whole car, then repeat, 2 coats, wetsand, 2 coats wetsand. i painted the charger using a can since your not spraying the car u use all the paint and not spray 50% in the air, use progressivly finer sand paper each time. it's not really that much work, cause u can stop and start any time, u can do just a door, or the hood, ect. do one panel at a time, and don't stop once you start. once your done the final coat, wetsand with about 1000 grit to a totally smooth finish, and then using a high speed polisher i use a buffing bonnet and turtle wax polishing compound. do the whole car with this, and i'm telling u, depending on the amount of time and paitence you have, the results are amazing. laugh if you want, but for $50 ($30 for paint, about $20 for rollers, sand paper, ect...) it really looks good. also you can do these steps overnight, paint one evening and by morning u can wet sand. i have personally done alot of painting, mostly single stage acrylic enamel, and i've sprayed several cars in my garage with really good professional results, just it stinks, it's a real pain to do, easy to make a mistake, messy, and expensive. The tremclad is awesome paint, the "real orange" is an amazing hemi orange, and almost looks like it has some perl in the sun, awesome color right out of the can. I used this technique on my 1974 beetle also, here are the results:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/Picture10.jpg
the car before:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/IM000475.jpg
another after pic:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/DSC00164.jpg
here is a car i sprayed (71 beetle, midnight blue metalic):
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/DSC00194.jpg
here is the car before (71 beetle):
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/Picture1.jpg

here's a few pics of the charger done:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/DSC02764.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/DSC02769.jpg

well that's my 2 cents worth, sorry for the long post. i was borred lol
i painted the orange beetle in 1999, and it still looks like the day i painted it, the 71 blue beetle i painted in 2000, and built the car for my dad, i used the same paint on my charger, maybe one day i'll spring for a good paint job, prepping is 90% of the work, stripping the car, sanding, ect.....painting is overrated!!!
So if you have TIME, then i'd say go for it, the worst that could happen is that it does'nt turn out and your out $50, but if your paitient, and expriement with lets say just the trunk pannel and if you like it do the whole car, if not just get it done by someone else for $4000. i don't know about you guys, but i would rather spend the $4000 on other parts like getting the mechanics sorted out and new chrome, cause when u have really nice paint and crappy bumpers, door handles it just sticks out more.



The Charger looks awesome. TREMCLAD? where can I get it?


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
69chargeryeehaa
pro stock


Reged: Jan 04 2006
Loc: toronto canada
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: ]
      #2338784 - Wed Jan 25 2006 01:26 PM

Yes i painted it with a "profesional" high density foam roller. The trick is in how you thin the paint, get it as thin as possible without running, and the paint "self levels" it comes out like glass, wet sanding just makes it better, it all depends on how much time u have. i have sprayed a few cars in my garage with a single stage acrylic enamel and it's a pain, messy, stinks, ect... the tremclad is almost odorless and is really easy to work with. u can paint one day, wetsand the next and immedieatly recoat. once you got all the coats on, just wetsand and buff with a compound, then wax and your good to go. i've done 3 cars this way and the 74 beetle i did 6yrs ago, still looks awesome. the paint is cheap like $30 a gallon, you can get it tinted to any color u like. on the charger i used about 3/4 of a can, when u spray even with a HVLP gun, u still waste about 30% of the paint that just goes in the air. Tremclad is basically rust paint, but it is the new type which is a enamal. i still strip the car of chrome, bumpers, handles, keylocks, basically everything, and then just tape only using tape where i might get paint on something i don't want painted. the paint is tough, like stove paint when it's done, i've spilt gas on it in like really hot weather, and it resists stone chips really well. i had to repaint a fender on the beetle like 2 yrs ago, so i just got a small can of paint 3 yrs later and the color match is exact.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cal_gecko
Picture Perfect


Reged: Aug 23 2003
Loc: Sacramento, CA
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa]
      #2339008 - Wed Jan 25 2006 02:55 PM

Quote:

Yes i painted it with a "profesional" high density foam roller. The trick is in how you thin the paint, get it as thin as possible without running, and the paint "self levels" it comes out like glass, wet sanding just makes it better, it all depends on how much time u have. i have sprayed a few cars in my garage with a single stage acrylic enamel and it's a pain, messy, stinks, ect... the tremclad is almost odorless and is really easy to work with. u can paint one day, wetsand the next and immedieatly recoat. once you got all the coats on, just wetsand and buff with a compound, then wax and your good to go. i've done 3 cars this way and the 74 beetle i did 6yrs ago, still looks awesome. the paint is cheap like $30 a gallon, you can get it tinted to any color u like. on the charger i used about 3/4 of a can, when u spray even with a HVLP gun, u still waste about 30% of the paint that just goes in the air. Tremclad is basically rust paint, but it is the new type which is a enamal. i still strip the car of chrome, bumpers, handles, keylocks, basically everything, and then just tape only using tape where i might get paint on something i don't want painted. the paint is tough, like stove paint when it's done, i've spilt gas on it in like really hot weather, and it resists stone chips really well. i had to repaint a fender on the beetle like 2 yrs ago, so i just got a small can of paint 3 yrs later and the color match is exact.




This is really interesting! I'm thinking about using it on my beater car (90 Honda Civic).. where can this paint be purchased?

--------------------
Photography by Mark Brooks - I shoot cars!



Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
69chargeryeehaa
pro stock


Reged: Jan 04 2006
Loc: toronto canada
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: cal_gecko]
      #2339854 - Wed Jan 25 2006 07:06 PM

i'm up in Canada, here it's called Tremclad, in the US it would be the rustoleum or something like that, it's a rust paint, buffs really nice, but make sure it's the new stuff like a enamal, or acrylic enamal. goes right over anything and does'nt react with any old paint, right over bondo, don't use any primer, just the paint. on a car i used to have i had it professionally painted 4 yrs after i painted it and they put a base/clear on it with no isues. it's really easy to do just be paitient, take your time, test on something first and perfect the tequnique, as a hint if you try it first you paint the surface, and then really lightly "skim" the surface with the weight of the roller only to remove any lines bubbles ect, then just leave it for a minute or two and you'll see it just "self levels" totally flat to glass. then wetsand it really fine, use a spray bottle and keep the paper really wet, finish with a 1000 grit or so and then buff with a random orbit polisher using turtle wax POLISHING compound, NOT the rubbing compound, its' to harsh. it is critical to use the proper roller, it's about 4" wide and about 1 1/2" thick, and really high density white foam. it really works and is much tougher paint than todays single stage or base clear, very hard to scratch, but easy to buff. i get compliments on my paint jobs, and they never believe how i do it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
T56DAK
enthusiast


Reged: Oct 26 2005
Loc: Houston, Tx
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa]
      #2340066 - Wed Jan 25 2006 07:58 PM

If that works, I owe you a six pack. And not talking about a top end of a motor. If you can tell us a US equivalent, that would be super. This would be acquired at a paint store, not a department store that sells Rustoleum products correct?

--------------------

1966 Plymouth Belvedere II - 440/727/3.91SG
2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7L V8 6speed Regular Cab


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
safetymike1977
member


Reged: Jun 02 2005
Loc: Berlin, WI
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: T56DAK]
      #2340102 - Wed Jan 25 2006 08:09 PM

You got to be kidding me! Wow... Must be time consuming though, but very cool. Beats the rattle can... Now your finge won't get tired.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GTSDave
Mr. Nice Guy


Reged: Jan 19 2003
Loc: Richmond, Tx. (Houston)
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: safetymike1977]
      #2340152 - Wed Jan 25 2006 08:24 PM

The best black paint job I can remember was done by a friend of mine and his dad back when we were in high school. They painted it with foam brushes, and buffed to a mirror shine.

All through high school he had the best paint job of any of our old hot rods. And they did it under their carport! I have no idea what kind of paint it was, but they put it on with the foam brushes and it did like you said, and self leveled.

-Dave

--------------------
PLEASE Pray for our brothers and sisters in harms way.

GTS Registry


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
max
super gas


Reged: Jan 19 2003
Loc: USA
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: safetymike1977]
      #2340157 - Wed Jan 25 2006 08:25 PM

now that's a different way of painting a car, that's for sure

a friend of mine many, many years ago painted one with a Waggnor power painter and it didn't look bad from about 3-4 feet away so i guess as long as it lays down it will work.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MNobody
When Doves Cry


Reged: Feb 27 2005
Loc: Michigan
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: safetymike1977]
      #2340226 - Wed Jan 25 2006 08:43 PM

WOW that charger looks awesome!!!!! i'm in the same boat , can't afford an expensive paint job...please tell where the roller and paint can be found i'll buy ya keg!!!!!!!!!

--------------------


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
68Cbarge
Dropping anchor in a port near you!!


Reged: Jan 14 2006
Loc: Canuckville
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: MNobody]
      #2340302 - Wed Jan 25 2006 09:03 PM

Quote:

WOW that charger looks awesome!!!!! i'm in the same boat , can't afford an expensive paint job...please tell where the roller and paint can be found i'll buy ya keg!!!!!!!!!


Here in Canada,it is sold at Canadian Tire,Walmart,Home Depot,any hardware store,and Rona.I'm not sure of the U.S. equivalent of TREMCLAD is,maybe RUSTOLEUM.Just check the fine print on the cans,enamel,no priming required.Check any large hardware store chains.69 chargeryeahaa may want to open up shop....Hmmmm R.B.Autobody!!Roller & Brush!! Great job!! I am going to see 69 in two weeks.Gotta see that paint !!

--------------------
'68 Newport Custom Barge on a Budget project
1973 Satellite WAGON! 318- 3 on the tree!!
1983 Dodge 400 Coupe 2.2L
2006 300C Brilliant Black HEMI!
Barge on a Budget!! http://moparfins.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=66


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
OkieSwinger69
member


Reged: Jul 12 2005
Loc: NE Oklahoma
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 68Cbarge]
      #2340360 - Wed Jan 25 2006 09:16 PM

Concerning this self-leveling idea. I can see that happening on the top of the car. What about the sides? Very interesting idea, I need to paint a Swinger on the cheap.

Just google Tremclad. Lots of results.

--------------------


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
noisydart
super gas


Reged: Feb 16 2003
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: OkieSwinger69]
      #2340604 - Wed Jan 25 2006 10:45 PM

Well I went to www.rustoleum.com and they gave me a choice between the U.S. and Canada sites-
so I went Canadian and they list Tremclad, so it is a Rustoleum Canadian product.
Now who knows how this translates down in the U.S. of A.? But I'm sure with some e mails and/ or toll free number research w/ the rustoleum company, this can be determined!


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MNobody
When Doves Cry


Reged: Feb 27 2005
Loc: Michigan
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: noisydart]
      #2340638 - Wed Jan 25 2006 10:59 PM

i did the web search and here's a website, i emailed for application procedures, tools needed and availability, when i hear back i'll post my findings but see what you can come up with.

Rpm international inc. i believe is the manufacturer.

oh and here's a link from rustoleum.

http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_id=548&SBL=5

--------------------


Edited by RCRC (Wed Jan 25 2006 11:02 PM)


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Scatpak
super street


Reged: Jan 21 2003
Loc: waterford
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: OkieSwinger69]
      #2340640 - Wed Jan 25 2006 11:01 PM

That Charger looks great. I want to try that. I have just the car in mind too. You have a PM

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
noisydart
super gas


Reged: Feb 16 2003
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Scatpak]
      #2340650 - Wed Jan 25 2006 11:09 PM

Good question from Okie Swinger about the "leveling" on the sides- more prone to dripping?
(I think I saw the Okie Swinger in "Grapes of Wrath" or was that a Deuce Coupe?)


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DaytonaTurbo
I Could Care Less...But I'm Not Going To


Reged: Feb 26 2003
Loc: Manitoba, Canada
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Scatpak]
      #2340680 - Wed Jan 25 2006 11:23 PM

That job on your charer looks great. I've always kinda thought tremclad would work on a car, but I've never tried it. Could you tell me which grits of sandpaper you were using after each coat? I know my brother would love to do his rampage, and he doesn't have much money so this would be a great alternative. And who knows, if it comes out good enough, I may even do it on one of my cars.

--------------------


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
69superbee383
Changed


Reged: Nov 23 2004
Loc: Va. Beach, Va
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: DaytonaTurbo]
      #2340800 - Thu Jan 26 2006 01:24 AM

I wonder how using Rustoleum spray would be then wet sand vs. doing the roller. Maybe even use their clear coat. All this is really interesting..I wanted to make my Coronet a nice 318 beater car and this may be the way to do it.

--------------------
77 Macho Power Wagon LWB factory 440
70 Coronet 440 N code 3 speed


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
340SHORTY
Truck Nut


Reged: Aug 20 2003
Loc: Kent, Wa
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69superbee383]
      #2340818 - Thu Jan 26 2006 02:46 AM



--------------------
I am truckless..


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
70Cuda383Moderator
Kaptain Kuda


Reged: Oct 07 2003
Loc: Marysville, O-H-I-O
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 340SHORTY]
      #2341112 - Thu Jan 26 2006 08:03 AM

not only a question about "self leveling" on the sides, but what about block sanding? how do you prevent "waves" in your paint? wet sand it with a block?

--------------------


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
69chargeryeehaa
pro stock


Reged: Jan 04 2006
Loc: toronto canada
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 70Cuda383]
      #2341245 - Thu Jan 26 2006 08:52 AM

guys all i have to tell you is that i first painted a 85 honda crx at my cottage in 1 day, i had no money, i did like 3 coats with no sanding and it looked great, i should scan that old pic and show you!!!. The job only looks as good as the time and effort that you put into it. the paint is extreemly durable, think about it, it's used to paint over rusted metal on things like tractors, metal railings, ect... and stand the elements. it is formulated to do just that. the tequnique is critical, u have to have a "feel" for how much to thin the paint and u have to use mineral spirits, not paint thinner like varsol. I could not even imagine how well it would turn out if you sprayed it with a HVLP gun and wet sanded and polished. It does "self Level" on the sides just as it does on the flat level surfaces. Like i said before it is critical on how you thin the paint and how you apply it. i did the charger in about 3 days. i got sick of going to body shops and them telling me either they don't do classic cars and if they did want to do the car i need at least $5000 even though the car was stripped and prepped!!!! the auto painting industry is in my opinion a total rip off so if you want it done right and cheep, do it yourself!!! when the paint is thinned your barley putting on any paint with each coat, so you really need to do about 6 coats to get enough of a base so you can wet sand and polish. it took me a long time to figure out what steps to take to get awesome results. my 74 bug looks awesome even after 6 years the paint is still mint. looks like the day i did it. that paint dries FAST, so literally you can wetsand overnight. Keep in mind i know a little about painting, i've shoot a few cars with single stage enamel with professional results, but it's expensive and tedious. I used duplicolor paint, primer, reducer and primer sealer on this car:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/DSC00194.jpg
it looked like this before paint:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/Picture1.jpg
that car was painted midnight metalic blue, and flips awesome in the sun. a very hard color to do cause it's almost black and shows every imperfection. but as you can see in the pic it came out awesome. but the materials alone (paint, reducer, primer, primer sealer) cost about $250 CDN, which was alot, never mind the work.
the "tremclad" paint is really a awesome alternetive, since your rollering it on there's no dust and you get a really clean paint job if you do it in your garage, where if you spray theres a battle with dust.
when i painted with the Tremclad i just use the paint, no primer, nothing, just the paint, right over bondo. like i mentioned before after wetsanding use a random orbit polisher and the cheapest POLISHING COMPOUND made by turtle wax, it comes in a paste in a small round flat container and it's white, allmost looks like hand cream and smells good too!!! I find that after thinning the paint with mineral spirits the paint "flashes" or dries really quickly, and after a overnight period it is completely dry, unlike automotive paint which takes up to 6 months to fully "cure" so litterally the next day you can sand, buff, polish, and wax the paint. on the charger the paint looks really good, i did not take a huge amount of time to perfect it because i really really wanted to drive it!!!. in the spring i plan on wetsanding and polishing it more, but yes it looks like the pics, really good. considering that it cost me about $50 i love it and i'm not paranoid about juicing it on a dirt road and going sideways worring about my precious paint job, i drive the car, hard and alot, after all is'nt that what they're made for? for $50 and a few days of work i can paint it again in a few years!!!! If your not good with your hands, and not a real detail person let someone else paint your car cause it can get ugly really fast!!!! if i had a shop, made a little paint booth and sprayed this stuff on and wetsanded and polished it, i'm sure i could paint show quality cars with $30 worth of paint. keep in mind this paint is really good, like i said bofore i bought a can 3 yrs later to repaint a fender on my 74 beatle and it was dead on for color match, that must tell you about the quality of the paint, i'd give you $100 if you could tell me which fender i painted on this car in person, and its' right out of the can:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/DSC00164.jpg
keep in mind that you must still prep the car as you would with any other paint job, prepping is all the work and reflects the overall result.
i did not block sand the car just wetsand progressivly finer paper by HAND, no machine, no block nothing. using any "block" to sand i found the paper got dirty fast and got all plugged up, so do it by hand and keep it really wet, using a spray bottle in one hand and a clean bucket of water and a shammy (dollar store!!!)to clean it off to see how it looks. i prepped the car with 80, then 100, then 200, finished with a 400, did all my body work, and painted. after 2 coats (about 4hrs work for the whole car) i wetsanded with a 600, then did 2 more coats, wetsand with 800, 2 more coats and sand with a 1000-1500 and polish, followed by wax, done......


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
70Cuda383Moderator
Kaptain Kuda


Reged: Oct 07 2003
Loc: Marysville, O-H-I-O
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa]
      #2341274 - Thu Jan 26 2006 09:01 AM

I wonder how well it would look if you did this roller method, then followed up by shooting a coat of clear over top of it.

--------------------


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
69chargeryeehaa
pro stock


Reged: Jan 04 2006
Loc: toronto canada
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 70Cuda383]
      #2341324 - Thu Jan 26 2006 09:22 AM

i probally would say it would turn out very nice. but the workability of the paint would end there, besides the paint buffs to mirror so i see no need for a clear coat. they have a clear coat in the tremclad brand made for the paint but i don't think it's nescessary. i reciently buffed out a huge scratch when a guy tried to jump me at a drive thru atm (long story!!!) and i florred it ran over his feet turning tires, and pinned him between the wall and my car. the whole rear quarter had a really bad scuff, maybe it was his teeth and the buttons on his jacket, anyways it buffed right out, with clear it would be hard to do that. so i would say there's no need for clear unless you really want a show car finish. thing i like about this paint ALOT is that there's no need for primer, primer sealer, ect.. it really simplifies the process. shooting a base clear or single stage acrylic enamel is a pain, u have "windows" to shoot each coat, and putting the primer sealer on, you have to shoot color within 30 mins or 15 days, man what if something goes wrong? lol

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
69chargeryeehaa
pro stock


Reged: Jan 04 2006
Loc: toronto canada
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa]
      #2341424 - Thu Jan 26 2006 09:58 AM

one more pointer, when u wet sand the final coat, the paint looks flat, like velvet, if you take a rag soaked with mineral spirits and whipe a spot down that you just sanded, that's what it will look like buffed. if you buff and decide to paint again clean the area with mineral spirts so that and residue from the polishing compound is removed or the paint won't stick. otherwise i have to say the paint is really good, i had a rock hit my hood so hard it sounded like someone thru a golfball at my car really hard, i did'nt even want to look, but there was no chip, just bit of dust at the impact sight. that paint is really good stuff. i'm sure if it was labeled as a auto paint it would cost $200 a can, so keep it quiet shhhhhhh!!!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MNobody
When Doves Cry


Reged: Feb 27 2005
Loc: Michigan
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa]
      #2341471 - Thu Jan 26 2006 10:14 AM

how warm does it have to be to paint?

--------------------


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
TonyS451
master


Reged: Jan 19 2003
Loc: Chicago, IL
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa]
      #2341479 - Thu Jan 26 2006 10:17 AM

What a cool idea. No paint booth, no overspray, easy masking, work at your own pace, REALLY inexpensive and you get tell all your friends you did it with a roller. Does the paint application have temperature requirements? Have you used it in door jambs as well? I'm saving this thread for sure.

--------------------
2 kids and a dog


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BurntOrange
enthusiast


Reged: Apr 09 2004
Loc: Dallas, Wisconsin
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: TonyS451]
      #2341498 - Thu Jan 26 2006 10:25 AM

I think I'll paint the Fury with the blue on this page!

Rustoleum paint

--------------------


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BSharp
Nuts about Squirrels!!


Reged: Jan 20 2003
Loc: .
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: BurntOrange]
      #2341563 - Thu Jan 26 2006 10:45 AM

I think that page is for rattle-cans. Here's the brush-on page.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)



Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  moparts, Eric, Hotwheelsjr, Al_Alguire, 70Cuda383, LTDan, tboomer, SanityLost, not_a_charger 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: ****
Topic views: 279398

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Info | Privacy statement main index

Powered by UBB.threads™ 6.5.2