Moparts Forums >> Moparts Truck , Jeep & 4X4 Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
Jwilli500
super gas

Reged: Jan 20 2003
Loc: Oklahoma City
Re: MY JEEP BUILD THREAD [Re: DusterDave]
      #6871263 - Fri Oct 14 2011 02:30 PM

Yea, I think you happen to have the cheapest Mopar stroker a guy could build! LOL I about crapped when I saw the pistons were that cheap! The ones for the 408 are about $427 a set. One thing though, I'm assuming you can press fit the piston pins that come with those floated Icon pistons? I'm pretty sure you can but I'd make sure somehow. Allways glad to spend someone else's money!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GO_Fish
super gas

Reged: Jul 18 2003
Loc: Maryland
      #6871505 - Fri Oct 14 2011 05:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You can hog those magnum heads out some for sure. This is the best pic I could find at the moment. There is a large restriction in the bowl below the valve seat. You can see this comparison on the 2 Magnum intake valves pictured. On a well ported Magnum intake throat, a golf ball will snugly fit all the way in the port and sit on top the valve guide, where it will not even closely set that deep on a stock port. Don't mess with the short radius that much, but the other 3 walls of the port should pretty much go straight down from the valve seat, eliminating the bottle neck.

That's some great porting advice, and I really do appreciate it, but my goal (for this application) is making good low end torque, not big HP numbers. I'm looking to make around 300 HP, which will be plenty for the Jeep, and from what I've read, the stock heads are supposed to support up to around 400 HP.

Well, looking at your Duster, I suppose it was kind of goofy to try and suggest porting ideas to you anyway!

--------------------
Scott B.

"I'm a self-made man... I started with nothing, and I still have most of it!"

68 360 rusty B'cuda 'vert (GO Fish)13.59@ 98.72 mph
69 340 GTS stock 14.18@ 95.60 mph
01 5.9L Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
01 3.5L 300M 16.23@ 86.97 mph

rickstershemi
Rickster The Trickster!!

Reged: Jul 31 2006
Loc: Lehigh Acres, Florida
      #6871537 - Fri Oct 14 2011 05:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Just Throwing this out there... Right now Mancini has the Eagle SIR rods in the pressed pin version only, for $130 a set...
Edit: Oh yeah they're in the "overstocked" section.

I just looked. Holy Christ, that's cheap! Guess I'm buying a set of rods tonight too! My wife is gonna kill you all!!!!!!

Scat Cast Crank, SIR Rods, Icon Forged Pistons = one very economical stroker....!!!!!! Should be perfect for what your planning

Who do you have in mind for the machine work & balancing....??????

Rickster

DusterDave
pro stock

Reged: Jul 10 2010
Loc: In a Moab state of mind
Re: MY JEEP BUILD THREAD [Re: rickstershemi]
      #6871750 - Fri Oct 14 2011 08:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Just Throwing this out there... Right now Mancini has the Eagle SIR rods in the pressed pin version only, for $130 a set...

I just looked. Holy Christ, that's cheap! Guess I'm buying a set of rods tonight too! My wife is gonna kill you all!!!!!!

Scat Cast Crank, SIR Rods, Icon Forged Pistons = one very economical stroker....!!!!!! Should be perfect for what your planning

Rickster

I'm familiar with big blocks and Hemi, but not so familiar with smallblock parts interchangeability. Before I place the order, does the 340 style crank fit the 318? I'm pretty sure it does, but I want to make sure.

http://www.cnc-motorsports.com/product.asp?ProdID=28133&CtgID=28131

--------------------
Current project: '89 Jeep Wrangler frame-off, V8 stroker
Follow my Jeep build: http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=Warlock&Number=6792940&page=0&fpart=1

GO_Fish
super gas

Reged: Jul 18 2003
Loc: Maryland
      #6871866 - Fri Oct 14 2011 09:28 PM

273/318/340 all shared the same stroke and bearing sizes. 340's had heavier counterweights to work with heavier rods. They can be mixed and matched, but you should probably have a mixed cubic inch assembly balanced to make sure there are not vibrations. Magnums also used different rods (smaller at the wrist pin, lighter pistons) than LA's, to that's another reason to balance if you are mixing Magnum and LA.

--------------------
Scott B.

"I'm a self-made man... I started with nothing, and I still have most of it!"

68 360 rusty B'cuda 'vert (GO Fish)13.59@ 98.72 mph
69 340 GTS stock 14.18@ 95.60 mph
01 5.9L Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
01 3.5L 300M 16.23@ 86.97 mph

Jwilli500
super gas

Re: MY JEEP BUILD THREAD [Re: GO_Fish]
      #6871981 - Fri Oct 14 2011 10:33 PM

I agree, balancing is a must. I also agree on the 318/340 crank interchange. Matter of fact I used a 318-3 crank in a 340 once. I'm certainly not a small block guru but I have been studying some small block stuff for awhile!

DusterDave
pro stock

#6872001 - Fri Oct 14 2011 10:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Rickster

I'd love to have Dan at Performance Only do the machine work and balancing. I hear good and bad things about every one of the machine shops in my area, which makes me uneasy about going to any of them. If Dan does the work, I know I can sleep nights knowing that everything is spot on. The only downside is, its a hell of a long ride to bring the parts down to his shop.
Alright, the Eagle SIR rods and Scat crank have been ordered. That was some money originally earmarked to go towards the gear change and lockers for my Dana 44's, so that part of the project got set back a few weeks, but the upside is, the engine program got pushed forward.

rickstershemi
Rickster The Trickster!!

#6872216 - Sat Oct 15 2011 07:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Rickster

I'd love to have Dan at Performance Only do the machine work and balancing. I hear good and bad things about every one of the machine shops in my area, which makes me uneasy about going to any of them. If Dan does the work, I know I can sleep nights knowing that everything is spot on. The only downside is, its a hell of a long ride to bring the parts down to his shop.
Alright, the Eagle SIR rods and Scat crank have been ordered. That was some money originally earmarked to go towards the gear change and lockers for my Dana 44's, so that part of the project got set back a few weeks, but the upside is, the engine program got pushed forward.

I'm sure Dan would do a great job....I use "Mike Thompson Racing Engines" out of Naples (you see his stuff at all the race tracks in florida) and he's a racer himself. If you need anything holler

Rickster

Jwilli500
super gas

#6872439 - Sat Oct 15 2011 10:33 AM

Almost makes me wish I had a 318 to build one! This would be great for my sons 82. I do have a 318 but its an NOS Long Block, so I dont wanna bore it. LOL

rickstershemi
Rickster The Trickster!!

Re: MY JEEP BUILD THREAD [Re: Jwilli500]
      #6872645 - Sat Oct 15 2011 01:33 PM

Quote:

Almost makes me wish I had a 318 to build one! This would be great for my sons 82. I do have a 318 but its an NOS Long Block, so I dont wanna bore it. LOL

IMO you'd be better off starting with a 360 block....just makes sense to me if you don't have a block alraeady

Rickster

dusturbd340W5
super gas

Reged: Jan 19 2003
Loc: Kissimmee Fl.
      #6878060 - Tue Oct 18 2011 09:21 PM

Dave if you are looking for someone local,give Kevin at Auto Performance Engines in Arburndale a call he does impeccable work and does quit a few mopars,even has a in house dyno.
For the most part he is a 1 man shop and does every thing him self in house except crank grinding.

--------------------
70 duster full chassis super pro 416 CNC Indybrock heads 727 w/brake

best so far 1.352 60 6.219 in 1/8 at 110.88 9.768 at 137.81 1/4

Edited by dusturbd340W5 (Tue Oct 18 2011 09:22 PM)

DusterDave
pro stock

Re: MY JEEP BUILD THREAD [Re: dusturbd340W5]
      #6879614 - Wed Oct 19 2011 08:52 PM

Quote:

Dave if you are looking for someone local,give Kevin at Auto Performance Engines in Arburndale a call he does impeccable work and does quit a few mopars,even has a in house dyno.
For the most part he is a 1 man shop and does every thing him self in house except crank grinding.

Thanks for the info. I've decided to go with Dan at Performance Only. I complained to Dan about the long distance I'd have to travel to bring my parts to him, and Dan was kind enough to offer to relocate his machine shop business to Tampa, just to build my stroker 318. Now THAT'S what I call customer service!!!

--------------------
Follow my Jeep build: http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=Warlock&Number=6792940&page=0&fpart=1

DusterDave
pro stock

#6884640 - Sun Oct 23 2011 10:21 AM

Rusty and rotted back end of the frame has been cut off. The rest of the frame goes to the sandblaster shop tomorrow.

DusterDave
pro stock

#6886291 - Mon Oct 24 2011 12:47 PM

Today, the brown Santa dropped off some bottom end parts for my 390.

--------------------

mopar346
Slow Ride Dreamer

Reged: Jul 05 2007
Loc: Florida
      #6886366 - Mon Oct 24 2011 01:51 PM

Good Santa.

--------------------
Careful, your character's showing!

rickstershemi
Rickster The Trickster!!

#6886719 - Mon Oct 24 2011 05:33 PM

Cool Beans

Rickster

DusterDave
pro stock

#6887069 - Mon Oct 24 2011 08:49 PM

I got two things done today. Dropped off the frame at the sandblaster's, and installed the replacement driver's side floor pan. I have two small cancer areas that need metal replacement, they are where the main hoop of the stock rollbar bolted to.

--------------------

mopar346
Slow Ride Dreamer

#6896123 - Mon Oct 31 2011 07:59 AM Attachment (61 downloads)

Dave,

I ran across these on the Jeep forum and didn't knwo if they would help with frame dimensions, so I thought I woudl share.

Good luck and keep up the post.

--------------------

mopar346
Slow Ride Dreamer

Re: MY JEEP BUILD THREAD [Re: mopar346]
      #6896125 - Mon Oct 31 2011 07:59 AM Attachment (42 downloads)

And another.

--------------------

DusterDave
pro stock

#6896806 - Mon Oct 31 2011 03:16 PM

Quote:

Dave,

I ran across these on the Jeep forum and didn't knwo if they would help with frame dimensions, so I thought I woudl share.

Good luck and keep up the post.

Thanks, but those don't look like my YJ frame.

--------------------

mopar346
Slow Ride Dreamer

#6896861 - Mon Oct 31 2011 03:49 PM

Oh yea, I forgot your's was a YJ.

Oh well

--------------------

DusterDave
pro stock

#6897145 - Mon Oct 31 2011 06:06 PM

Quote:

Oh yea, I forgot your's was a YJ.

Oh well

That's OK, I appreciate the thought. I did some 'net searching, and I found a blueprint of a YJ frame.

--------------------

mopar346
Slow Ride Dreamer

#6897191 - Mon Oct 31 2011 06:28 PM

Thanks, I added that to my file just in case. But it's in milometers, not sure I have a tape for that.

--------------------

DusterDave
pro stock

#6897283 - Mon Oct 31 2011 07:00 PM

Quote:

Thanks, I added that to my file just in case. But it's in milometers, not sure I have a tape for that.

Me neither. Divide them by 25.4 to convert to inches.

--------------------

DusterDave
pro stock

#6906207 - Sun Nov 06 2011 09:46 AM

Made a bit of progress on the frame work. First, I got the frame and skid plate back from the sand blasters. They did a fantastic job removing every spec of rust, even on the inside of the frame as far as they could reach. Fortunately, there was very little rust inside the frame to begin with. The nasty finish you see on it was from the Ospho I sprayed as soon as I got it home, to prevent flash rust.

I finished cutting all of the segments to build one frame rail. I made a drawing in Autocad to get my dimensions of all of the frame segments.

I used my new Milwaukee chop saw to cut the segments. I laid the segments over the old frame rail, and it follows the shape and angles perfectly, so I'll use these pieces to trace out the ones for the other side.

--------------------

DusterDave
pro stock

#6906270 - Sun Nov 06 2011 10:16 AM

I made some decisions on steering and suspension. I decided to mount the springs over the axle (SOA), and use Rubicon Express 1.5" lift SOA springs, with 6 leaf packs up front and 5 leaf packs in the rear. The 6 up front is to compensate for the all iron 390" engine. For steering, I decided to go with a high steer setup. So, I purchased new high steer knuckles from partsmike.com. Its a complete kit, and he upgraded it with 2" forged steering arms at no extra charge. Shown in this pic are the standard flat arms.

rickstershemi
Rickster The Trickster!!

#6906596 - Sun Nov 06 2011 01:36 PM

Very nice work and great parts choices IMO

Rickster

DusterDave
pro stock

#6908464 - Mon Nov 07 2011 05:12 PM

Quote:

Very nice work and great parts choices IMO

Rickster

Thanks, Rick!

--------------------

DusterDave
pro stock

#6918428 - Sun Nov 13 2011 08:53 PM

My high steer kit came in. The steering arms are forged and very beefy. They will easily clear the leaf springs.

rickstershemi
Rickster The Trickster!!

#6918432 - Sun Nov 13 2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

My high steer kit came in. The steering arms are forged and very beefy. They will easily clear the leaf springs.

WOW.....BIG

Rickster

DusterDave
pro stock

#6918436 - Sun Nov 13 2011 08:57 PM

I made some progress on the frame work.

rickstershemi
Rickster The Trickster!!

#6918443 - Sun Nov 13 2011 09:00 PM

Nice Work Dave

Rickster

DusterDave
pro stock

#6918463 - Sun Nov 13 2011 09:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

WOW.....BIG

Rickster

Can you say BOMB PROOF?
Right after Thanksgiving, I'm going to drop off both axles at the local shop called Allen's Gearworks to get them re-geared (4.55's), install the lockers, Warn hubs, and replace worn parts.

--------------------

DusterDave
pro stock

#6918468 - Sun Nov 13 2011 09:14 PM

Thanks, Rick! I'll be a better welder when this project is finished.

J_BODY
Back in the saddle again

Reged: Apr 30 2003
Loc: aZLiViN
      #6918566 - Sun Nov 13 2011 10:27 PM

....lurking. I love the fact you spit out such cool crap out of that "shop"

DusterDave
pro stock

Re: MY JEEP BUILD THREAD [Re: J_BODY]
      #6919849 - Mon Nov 14 2011 08:02 PM

Thanks, J-Body. It keeps me out of trouble, and my wife never has to wonder where I'm at.

I made the other rail today. I messed up on the angle on the last segment of the rail in the foreground. I'll need to cut and re-weld it.

DusterDave
pro stock

#6921581 - Tue Nov 15 2011 09:33 PM

Fixed it.

--------------------

DusterDave
pro stock

#6928444 - Sun Nov 20 2011 05:05 PM

I've reached the first of many milestones in this project. The frame rebuild is complete. Since the rear bumper mounting bracket was in decent shape, I reused it. It was helpful in verifying some dimensions. I measured everything 6 ways to Sunday from many body and suspension mounting points, and its all dead nuts.

The next phase is to send the Dana 44's to the axle shop to get rebuilt, re-geared with 4.56's, Warn hubs, and locker diffs installed.

rickstershemi
Rickster The Trickster!!

#6928573 - Sun Nov 20 2011 06:21 PM

Sweet

Rickster

mopar346
Slow Ride Dreamer

#6928969 - Sun Nov 20 2011 09:44 PM Attachment (52 downloads)

Very impressive, you are coming along nicely.

Here is what I built yesterday, gonna get the bars bent for the rear section tomorrow and tack them in. Then I'll take it to a real welder to do the final welding, I don't trust my self on cages.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  moparts, Al_Alguire, Eric, 70Cuda383, LTDan, tboomer, SanityLost, Hotwheelsjr, not_a_charger 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 85495

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Info | Privacy statement main index